Foki Build

Ranger

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow!

this is paul.
paul puts his mind to doing something, and he does it.
paul doesn't mind getting his hands dirty.

paul has a talent for making things out of metal.

paul made a foki robot.

paul is now my friend.

be like paul.

Thanks guys. It's not as good as I would like, too little time to spend on it. I will just have to get it put together as best I can as I am using my jewellery workshop and its a messy job making this robot so it's never ending cleaning up before I can work on either.

RPHR....Ha, a bit over the top methinks but cheers. Well, yes, I make things in metal but not on this scale. Never tried or really wanted to try and make something like a robot before. I work with metal every day so always thought it's too much like daily work.....but it is quite different!  Though I had problems with the paint yesterday, when I did paint it,put the ears on and had the eyes light up.....well it's like it's coming alive and though the paint finish is not great, it was a rewarding moment.  It's came out quite well but there are several mistakes in it but I have learnt a bit about the best way to try and make parts. Jeez, and this I would say is quite an easy robot to start on. Hmm, maybe a square, boxy one may be easier if anyone is thinking of having a go. This has been made with very simple tools so if any of you guys has a bit of space, even a garden shed have a go....you may just surprise yourself. Time is my biggest problem. If I had 24/7 to play at this caper I am sure I could come up with something else. Still, as the 3d printer guys have said, at times your pulling your hair out and it can be frustrating. Worse I think with metal as generally it's a case of scrapping it and starting over from scratch....:wacko:

Cheers,Paul

Sorry not replied more often, the notifications do not come through to my email!!!

But the FOKI...Fantastic. Good old flatcap , build in a shed,hit it with a big hammer, British ingenuity,  Brilliant!!!!!!!! 

it would not be the same if it were easy, skill and persistence are making this a classic, Jose summed it up well "paul puts his mind to doing something, and he does it."

cheers m

Very impressive work Ranger! Looking forward to the finished product. I love the fact that you are making this out of metal. What gauge is the metal? Those are some beautiful bends and soldering.

Thanks robert.:thumbs:

It is made from 0.6 mm steel sheet. That does not sound very thick does it......until you come to shape it up!

Wow that´s awesome

you are an robotic art artist man, is very good I really like only metal without being painted, but when it gets painted it was very cool too, very very nice robot indeed, congrats:thumbs:

cheers

Joao

Well,my version of Foki started out as this first photo of the sheet of metal. It's not too brilliant but I have no more time to spend on Foki this side of christmas., There is plenty wrong with it as you can see, the  legs are too close together for starters. Gawd knows how that came about. A bit like Johns first 3d foki which i have that also had the legs too close but as i was not looking at that one its just one of my cock ups!:wacko:. Nobody is perfect eh!  

The arms have given me nothing but trouble, I didn't want to take castings from Johns but I wish I had now. These arms are too long as i made this set like that and tried to get a bit of a bend in them then thinking i would trim them down but the darn things still straightened themselves out. I have wasted way too much time that I haven't got to spare with them. I will have to think of something better and change them when I can get time. If not for those it would have been finished days ago. Anyway, it's an experiment, a prototype if you will to just see if I could make something that at least looked like foki and i think it  looks quite similar. For my first robot i think it could have been worse?  Had I every day to build it and a bit more kit in the workshop to speed things up it would be quite fun. A very messy thing to do though, dust, swarf, solder fumes, paint fumes, thinners etc. I can see the appeal of 3d printing, it must be easier and a lot cleaner but then it's not metal at the end of it. Well. ok mostly metal. So, that going to be it for now, not at all as good as I would like but i have learnt from this one. The next one will be a lot better. I also plan to make one with completely different arms and legs and hopefully a walker.

1 METAL ARRIVES.jpg

finished 1.jpg

finished 3.jpg

finished 5.jpg

finished 6.jpg

finished 2 rear.jpg

Congrats Paul for the wonderful project of yours, the new metal Foki is readyyy,

wowww and he is amazing :thumbs::thumbs:

keep up with the good work

cheers

Joao

Thanks RPHR. I will re do the arms by next week I think as I have now thought of a good way to get a better result.  It looks like foki so I think I could maybe make more metal robots. As I said previously, I will have to invest in a bit more kit to help speed things up a bit. I must have put about 55 to 60 hours into this robot. Must have wasted 10 messing about with the arms and legs. It was fun but also frustrating at times. I wouldn't like to make half a dozen. The beauty of 3d printing comes into its own for multiple builds! 

Cheers.

paul, most of the fun in building anything of artistic merit, is that you fall many times along the way…making the journey a lot more interesting.

good design is difficult to do, no medals for being the fastest!

Archived