Foki Build

Ranger

Ha, thanks Chilli.

Masterpiece, nah, far from it. A robot is a bit different to jewellery. The scale of doing things has shot up. Most problems I have had is finding the right kit to tackle some of it. I am just using a hand saw, dividers,steel blocks, pliers, rulers etc. No high tech here, well non to use on this... even my micro welder has packed up! As I said earlier, a bandsaw would speed things up hugely, but then I like using nothing but basic handtools. Had a problem finding something big enough to shape the head on. Believe it or not, it was shaped up on 5 foot long round crowbar, it was the nearest thing I had laying around. Even that is a bit too small. It really is 'whatever works'....use it. Such finesse eh!  This is the one I will make all my mistakes on and find better ways of doing things for the 2nd one! The next one should be better....maybe! Running before i can walk a bit methinks. I will see how I get on tomorrow. It is quite fun when you see it taking shape, adjustments here and there to be done. I think I will have a go at the sides of the head and upper body tomorrow.  Then the lower body. That's going to give me problems shaping that up. My rolling mill may come in handy there. Then installing the battery box, bulb holders and on-off switch....which will be will be tricky because I haven't got any yet!  A trip into town tomorrow is on the cards,off to the electrical shop. When all that's somewhere near satisfactory and the electrics are working it's onto the legs, another problem I will tackle as I go. I will have a good go at finishing it though....then again as you know, when my fuse blows it could well get hammered into bits!  Hopefully i will restrain myself and leave it for a while and go back to it later if it isn't going smoothly.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers!

I had a go at making the lower body this afternoon. Its a first off, not too bad but I am not entirely happy with it. I decided to tab it but for one I punched too big a hole really as I had forgotten about my cool hand hole puncher. Its a great little hand operated tool. I should have used the next size down...or even better, i should have cut out elongated slots. I should know better really, start smaller and you can always go up a size. Start big and there is nowhere to go if it's wrong. I do make mistakes yer know!  Secondly I have probably made fixing in the lower fixing plate for the legs a little  trickier as the back now overlaps instead of being flush. I may do the whole thing over again or just solder it all up...dunno yet...it took a bit of time to do that part.....shaping it up was not too easy, I had to make do with what jewellery making tools I have around the workshop. I would have to invest in more engineering type kit if I were to do this kind of thing more often but I am getting by slowly but surely.

Back to this lower body par, again I may just leave it as is as long as the tabs  hold out and work around it. They seem to be ok at the moment. I will just take note that should I try and make another that I am to make smaller holes for the tabs, make them rectangular like the tabs or just solder the entire seam up. Hey ho, I will keep at it, no going back now!

lower body ready for shaping up.jpg

lower body tabbed up..jpg

lower body together with upper and head 2.jpg

lower body together with upper and head.jpg

Cheers Chilli.

Had a go at making the upper body side pieces where the arms will go. First go and they fitted a treat so I soldered them in while i was at it. It will clean up very nicely I reckon. They came out quite well.

side soldered in.jpg

side soldered in 3.jpg

side soldered in 2.jpg

Ta MG. It was a quick soldering job. Had it been jewellery or the like, it would have to have been a lot neater. Plenty good enough for this project though.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing a bit of work on the foki. Mostly a few hours on a friday afternoon. I have spent about 35 - 40 hours on it so far, and there have been a few problems. All trial and error. I scrapped the first body and now it is rivetted together. The hands I made a master in wood then cast them up in metal. The feet are cut out of a 500 x 6mm block of aluminium. The legs should be metal but I wont have time now as I am too busy what with christmas around the corner. I will probably have it finished as good as it will be by this weekend. I will go back to the metal legs then. Not to worry though as the real one has wooden legs anyway but mine WILL have metal legs eventually. The legs and arms are a bit of a problem at the moment but i will solve it this week. He looks like he is about to take off at the moment! Also had a paint problem today so the finish is not too brilliant. A tip, dont buy cheap paint and dont use it after your son has been painting his bike with it. My lad did not know re inverting the can to clean the nozzle. The robot was going to be yellow, all was going great then suddenly it spat out large blobs...not good! Then the blue i was using packed up and completely stopped working half way through spraying so...not too good a day. Got some halford paint at £7 a tin, beautiful paint! The robot needed rubbing down and starting over but i havent time for that so it will have to do for the time being. Still it's looking a bit like a foki robot. I have learnt a lot re the best way to make this robot now. I will probably have problem with the upper and lower body fit. it slides together nicely but is quite a tight fit so i reckon the paint will scratch up a bit but that what tends to happen with this robot. Next time I will allow a little more clearance, i just didnt want it falling apart every time I pick it up. Anyway, that's where I am with it at the moment. If i ever do more I need more tools and equipment. Its been tough with a jewellers saw, a hacksaw, files and a grinding wheel!

HAND CAST UP.jpg

hands cast up.jpg

arms on rear view.jpg

assembled unpainted.jpg

metal feet.jpg

mine and johns.jpg

painted and lit up.jpg

painted and ears on from above.jpg

painted and lit left side.jpg

Archived