3D Printing Newbie's Diary

Brian..

Nearly there. Now I need to adjust the proportions and the twiddly bits. Was there ever a model of this robot available?

humanoid9.jpgaztecmummy-vs-robot.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good. No I think this might be the first model. Are you going to share the STL files on thing a verse. Or do we line up and place orders  once your done adjusting things ?

Hi i really like the Scoops Robot and the head is awesome, so Brian you are going to do a Scoops Robot ? i remember to watch a japanese animated episodes and there was a robot very similar with him, :-)

Exceptional work, Brian, you took like a duck to water!! Unfortunately, my policy is never to collect robots with human features. However, if you do decide to create a run of the SCOOPS robot, I'm in! Again, great work!

Thanks, gentlemen. I can put a plain old brain in there, Brady. :biggrin:

Too early, John, to decide on a strategy. I might make a few of them. Meanwhile I'm working on a battery operated version. You make it look so easy. There's a precedent for a remote control box for this robot:

remote.jpg

I

That's brilliant Brian! You got the rivets on the body too!!  Blimey, I wish  I could 3d print my foki robot in tin!  You will have knocked out a dozen of these before I am finished fabricating my tin bot. I can see why no one wants to make tin/metal robots, it's quite labour intensive then, as you said when we spoke yesterday, with 3 d you can just leave the printer to keep knocking them out. In metal, no such luck, it's start all over again! I knew you would soon get to grips with 3D printing. Great work!  Also as we discussed, put me down for one!  Cheap post and no customs duties..:woohoo:

Thanks Marco, I hope I can produce something acceptable. I'm struggling to make this guy walk. Each time I print I have a few hours of waiting time. So in the meantime I'm busy with the Scoops robot. Too little information is available so you have to invent details like the hip joints. The compound curves are absolute buggers, but if I ever want to build the Houdini robot I have to work on them.

scoop.jpg

Hey Brian

well, welcome to my world :-) You have NO idea the time I had to invest in Roboter 703-D to build a mechanism in that robot from scratch...
Its just going over, and over and over and over again, just as long as it takes to get it going.
sometimes its frustrating to go over every detail again and just when you think you found it... some other problems shows up :)

Good thing is that you can do "rapid" prototyping now... I mean, in the past many things you had to make out of wood or metal... now you can make the parts you want precise and adjust easily..
the printing takes time yes but... when you finaly found the correct settings you can make it over and over again :)

Making complex curves is indeed difficult to draw, that is why I choose for scanning... has pro`s and contra`s as well.
The parts are precise but more difficult to adjust afterwards..

well, looking forward to the progress... I continue with my own project here... You will get there ! :)

Cheers
Marco

I'm finalising the walking action. I've decided to go for a pin walker because a) it's easier. b) I can't design a normal walk, c) I can borrow John's arrangement of a GM7 motor. I'm waiting for the motors.

Now, I need lights in this fellow. He has flashing ears, a flashing headlight and two distinctive steady lights in the chest box. That's five. There's no way I can get conventional lights in him so it will have to be LEDs. Sad, but necessary and I can probably disguise the modern look of some of them. The only problem is that I now have to learn about capacitors and other stuff.

I always thought that the Japanese battery operated robots with the remote controls were more sophisticated mechanisms than the all-in-one style. Well, that's a load of rubbish. Everything is so much easier if you take the batteries out of the body.

ohm.jpg

Archived