Assembling Roboter 703 d kit number 1

robothut

I don't think I can change the leg file since the top and middle and bottom of the leg are all different abgles and sizes. That means I can not just drop a rectangle hole straight threw. But I wonder if you printed the part in VASE mode. you can sellect the number of out side shells, lets say 4 or maybe 5 would give you the 1mm thick wall. Nothing inside would get printed in vase mode. Might be worth trying.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I wanted to try out the xmass light idea but after searching threw may crap I did not find any of the small flashing lamps, but then I remembered the 16 inch Matsudia talking Robby's. They used a 1.5 volt bi metal flashing lamp. So I dug threw my robot parts room once again and came up with two of the record player units and they still had the little lamp flasher bulbs. A little lacquer thinner and they were clear again . Then I thought you I could do this two different ways. I could put them in the resin mold or I could take a 10 mm googly eye dome and tint it red and just put the light behind. The googly eye domes are easy but they do not stick out as much as the bi metal bulbs do so I cast up two DIY eye bulbs with the 1.5 volt bi metal lamps inside. I made the mold with a lip this time so the cast lamp could be glued in place. Then I thought, since this is 1.5 volts why not just use a AAA battery and holder. So here is the head set up that way. I got a feeliong its going to be hard to find these old flashing xmass lamps also in low voltages. 

DSC02315.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02323.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

The top 2 pictures are the talking robby light, the next 4 pictures are of the googly eyes, showing how nice they look but how they do not stick out as far as the original bulbs did. The last two pictures are of the DIY cast eyes with the bi metal robby lamps cast inside. The pictures show how they look from the inside and the out side. The inside shot shows the AAA battery holder location and how the cast DIY lamps are glued in place. being thermal flashing bi metal lamps they light and flash just as you expect, randomly with bright , short on time flashes.

I think the DIY cast eyes are a bit nicer 

just my opinion

the other ones are OK as well 

but sticking out like the originals is nice 

OK here is Ozzy's Roboter 703-d kit in action. I took two videos the first one shows the random nature of Bi Metal flashing lamps, you will notice that one starts flashing right a way and the other takes about 20 seconds to get going. I thin cut to second video of the robot operating as the robot was not quite balanced right in the first video but thought it wa worth sharing for the bi metal lamps action. The balance had to be adjusted a bit back . When Marco is telling you about how 1 mm adjustment make a big difference I am going to tell you that it is true, in fact I think that 1/4 of a 1 mm makes a big difference.

Now that I have done two of these builds I want to say that for me the hardest part is not hollowing out the legs, in fact useing the dremel spiral cutting bit and diamond disk and flat file make that very easy too do for me. The hard part for me is snapping in the leg linkage in to the foot block. I do not think it can be done with out wrming up the block first and then you run the risk of deforming the block. But even harder than that for me is drilling the holes for the leg golden pin, you know the 6 mm up and 6 mm over. Sounds easy, its not. If you are off at all things will not work well for you. So Ozzy hope you will be happy with your Roboter 703-d I know I am happy with mine. And thank you again Marco for making possible.

Here is a video of Ozzys Roboter. and pictures of it built and the left over parts.

DSC02342.jpg

DSC02343.jpg

That's fantastic Much appreciated John ! 

& Marco thanks for the endevour

as much as I would have liked to try the build 

don't have accesss to my tools , most are still boxed in one of 100 or so large boxes 

Add that to hands that shake quicksilver breaking magneto out of his pentagon cell 

& you have the case to let an experienced person handle it & John you did a great job !!!

Thank you both again!!! 

I have 2 seperate 3D ideas bubbling so hope that those will see the light of day as well !!!  

Stay tuned ! :cheers:

Thanks Oz.

Marco is the master at building these things as it has been his project for so long. Any one that wants one built up perfectly I would say contact Marco, He can do it much better than me and I am ready to move on to new things. one last reminder. The screw's that are taped in to the plastic need to be only snugged up, do not over tighten them as you can strip out the plastic 3 mm taped threads. also on Ozzys I did not want to cut a crotch hole for the wind up spring end part and as most of you know proper wind up springs are tempered so you can not just bend the end as it will snap off. So I used the dremel and a fiber cut off wheel to make two side notches that also the spring to be closely fit to the gear box, no need to to cut a notch for the spring end like I did on my roboter. Another way to do it would be to heat up just the end part of the spring and let it cool down slowly, this will remove the temper of just the very end and then you can bend it out of the way.

Amazing Robots & lucky enough to have one Grandpas fully functioning pre production roboter 700's as well 

Thanks again to Marco & John 

it's now safely ensconsed in it's case with his shorter american cousin 

1703d.jpg

2703d.jpg

today the connection is good enough to see the posts from the past week with all the pics ;)
very very very cool to see the first DIY kits build up, very well done John !
I know how difficult it is to find the correct balance when building this robot but you did very well.

There is indeed no need to cut a hole for the end of the spring. when you dremel a bit of the material from the inside and place the mechanism to the top it will be fine.
like John stated before... it really comes to the MM or even less of that to find the correct balance.
I have build up 7 or so and with the settings i described in the DIY kit, it must be able to have the perfect balance without any other adjustments.
still all the settings must be followed to the mm and drilling the holes on 6 mm 6 mm in the legs is a delicate job for sure, its critical for the robots balance.

I will go over the eye solutions when i come back home. I am at my computer in front of my tent in 33 degrees celcius so I guess i need some swimming first now ;)
Laters... and I really enjoyed the build and all the extra in this thread !
very cool

Marco

Now... when I was in Italy on vacation, the first DIY Roboters were build up and I followed the posts with great interest.
I see that with the instructions and the additional info here on alphadrome its very well possible to build it up.

Today, along with my Foki Robot, I also received 2 bimetal eyes for the Roboter, very very cool John, thanks a lot. they fit PERFECTLY and they are just like the original ones... very cool !, happy with them.
Also John made 2 DIY eyes that he included in the shipping.  in the meantime he also found bimetals on 2.5 volt that can be put into a bulb. I will order some and see if I can make them.
Cool investigation for sure, and a cool addition to this project !

Thanks John for all your time and effort in this project !

Marco

DSC_0076.JPG

On 8/20/2016 at 1:48 PM, roboz said:

Amazing Robots & lucky enough to have one Grandpas fully functioning pre production roboter 700's as well 

Thanks again to Marco & John 

it's now safely ensconsed in it's case with his shorter american cousin 

1703d.jpg

2703d.jpg

Both look Fantastic!  :thumbs:

Archived