Great work John

Do the eyes protrude as much with the new holders 

or are they recessed a bit ?

Anyway thanks for the pics & build info 

wonderful stuff to see !! :thumbs:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An incredible and fascinating tutorial John....thank you  for sharing with us. Of course kudos to Marco for such an impressive 3D build. 

The pictures of the robot assemble with paint screw and so on is the head with the new eyes in it. The lamps can be set any way you want but I tried to set them like the original bot just sticking out a bit.One thing all the actual glass lamps "the thermal flashing ones" have the glass tube part less than perfectly straight, and with the mount so far forward like I did that makes it harder to line up the lamps with the eye holes than if I had made the lamp mount shorter and secured the screw base holder by the very end. This would let the lamp holder wiggle around more and self align. I went for the up front mount just so the lamp holder front flange would act like a stop support. So if we can find more of these lamps then I could redesign the lamp holder to be a bit more wobbly and self aligning.

DSC02307.jpg

Ok here is a shot of the parts that I made so that I could adjust the robot balance as many times as I want. I used Marcos idea of the 3d printed adjustment block that he includes in the kit. But that has to be glued in place and I knew I would have to make this adjustment a few times before I was happy . So I made some simple metal adjustment plates with slots in them and then drilled some holes for screws that would lock down the adjustment plates where ever I wanted them. I found that I needed about  1 mm down on the linkage axle to get the right amount of forward tip to balance out the weight of the two N cells in the head. I also found that each time you make a adjustment you do need to fully put the robot back together too see if its right as the front of the body and arms make a difference in how things hang if you know what I mean.  Thank you again Marco for the great job you have done on this project and all the help "suggestions" that made it better for me. You have so many hours of work in to this project that what you have learned is of great Help. here is a new video of the robot with the new 3 volt system in the head and some flashing eyes I made. They screw in just like the bi metal bulbs and run off 3 volts. I made silicon rubber molds of the actual bi metal lamps and cast these DIY flashing lamps in clear resin then tinted them red. I took old screw base lamps and removed there copper bases and cast that right in to the resin lamp so the finished lamp can be screwed in the head. This way I can put in the bi metal lamps or my DIY lamps easly. Of any new lamps that may turn up. Also shown is two different translucent red spray's, one a dark red and one a lighter red. So that I can tell the bulbs apart I tinted the Bi metal flashing lamps with the dark red and the DIY bulbs with the light red. Also since I was just testing the idea of a DIY 3 volt flashing light I did not by actual clear casting resin, I just used clear fast set epoxie, I figuared it will be tinted so who cares and a few air bubbles traped in that thick epoxie resin will not mater for a few test bubls either. Any way I sent a set of these DIY bulbs and the bi metal lamps to Marco to play with. Oh thye DIY bulbs can also be made a lot simpler if you do not need the screw base part and just want two wire sticking out the back so I made a few that way also. my very first DIY bulb used a real glass srew base lamp that I gutted from the back side. If the right looking glass lamps could be found I could retro fit them instead of casting them for a real great looking lamp. this is just a test , 

DSC02311.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02191.jpg

So to change the batteries in the head , you just unscrew the head? 

Curious if those small watch batteries would light up the eyes 

so as to avoid the balance issues 

Yes with every thing in head you just remove the 4 head screws and separate the head. It might be easyer to put the head back together if you did not have to try and hold the ears in place, the neck in place and slide it all back together, so what I am thinking is the ears could be glued to the back of the head part, that way you only have to hold the head on the neck when puting back together, then screw in the screws. Yes two  button cell battery's will flash the DIY bulbs I made for many hours. We might experiment with your kit. There might still be a ballance adjustment  required, but its worth a try.

Hey John,

As I was underway to Italy for some vacation I saw more road than robots the past few days :)

Very cool adjustment for the balance, sort of improved "correctionblock " :-)
when I come back from vacation I will make one for sure, well done and thanks for the improvement.

Its very cool to see the robot with the "original" Bimetal eyes, I am glad you found at least some of them so I can equip one with them, cool.
The led eyes are also a good idea but I prefer personally the light of an old "vintage" bulb for this robot.
I have to say that they look really ok and its a cheaper solution also because you dont need the smd cards to let them blink but I guess I am not a "LED" guy

for robots :) anyway its an option for those who want to build up the DIY Roboter and prefer led eyes instead of bulbs ;)

John, do you think you can hollow out the leg digitally ?
would also safe some work. If you want to play with the leg files, let me know and I will sent them to you.

Ciao ! :)

Marcco

I agree Marco if we could find more of the bi metal lamps that would be so cool and the way to go. I think making the leg files hollow would be hard since the leg gets off set and narrorer in the middle, if the leg was a straight shot from top to bottom I think it would not be to hard to turn the file in to a solid then punch a squar hole from top to bottom. But with the tapper and offset I do not see a easy way to do it. 

Marco here is another idea. You can cast the DIY bulb but instead of embedding a LED put in a bi metal xmass mini light. then you have a 3 volt flashing lamp that looks right and works right. Here is just one web site that sells the mini bi metal xmass lamps, a different site that I did not save the URL too had them in different voltages, this stie does not state the voltage but 3.5 volts seems to be very common. http://www.christmascentral.com/p-436057-pack-of-5-clear-twinkling-push-in-mini-replacement-christmas-light-bulbs.aspx

twinklingMini Lamp.jpg

Hey John,

Well yes, THAT looks like a real solution. very cool !
a real DIY eye for the roboter and with real bimetal blinking eyes. Very smart solution i have to admit, Thanks.

I am still in Italy at this very moment, when I come back home I will order some of these and make them.
I tried to sent you the files but they are to big to transfer, I will sent them when I have a better connection or when i come back home.

Marco

Archived