Roboter 703-D 3D Printed in Holland ! :-) Its Ready !!!! Yeahhhh :-)

marco

On 7/18/2016 at 11:53 AM, Lunik said:

Very cool! Arts Academy - exciting new ground!
I think, that is where robot and space toys belong.

Congratulations!

Thanks Klaus, Yes I am really happy and somehow proud of that as well.
I think its good for the hobby and the future as well to bring our robots and new technology outside our relative small circle...

Lets show the rest of the world what its all about and what is really important in life ! :) ROBOTS :)

Even better is the fact that the exhibition has all to do with ART so maybe I can "build a bridge" to the art world as well :)
Ill keep you guys posted here about this..

Marco

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2016 at 7:29 PM, Lunik said:

. Robert built one "Roboter 2010" of spare parts from Grandpa's project, visible metal parts made of brass as specially built by Grandpa on Robert's request, all other specifcation probably same as Grandpa's series.

Just to clarify: I helped Ken (Grandpa) build all of the Roboters - a total of 13 if I remember correctly. 10 of these were commissioned by Xris. They were numbered 1-10. With both of us building them it took about a month to complete them all. We also built 2 prototypes before the numbered series, and the one special blue and brass one during or shortly afterwards. These 3 were "Artists proofs" - not part of the numbered series. I had one of the 3. Not sure what happened to the other two since Ken has passed. I will take credit for the blue and brass Roboter, as I talked Ken into machining the pieces out of brass instead of aluminum and painting it a metallic blue, but he kept that one and as far as I know his wife Kay may still have it. For personal reasons I'd rather not go into I have not been in touch for several years. 

But let me emphasize here - I was basically a worker drone on these robots. Yes I helped to build them, and yes I had a little input on design and execution, but Ken did ALL of the heavy lifting. He created the CAD files for all of the parts. He programmed the Laser, the CNC mill - did all of the computer work. He cut and milled all of the parts. He made molds and cast most of the cast parts.  I just helped put them together. I wish I owned the blue and brass version but I do not. Oh, and yes, bodies and heads were made from laser cut acrylic plastic, arms and legs/ feet were cast resin, buttons, ears, and noses were milled aluminum and antennas were cut/ soldered copper tubing with beads.

Thanks for that update Robert. A great project to have helped with. Great work on your part. Sad to hear of Ken's passing, he was  a very talented guy to say the least.  I wonder where they all went and who owns what now?

Thanks for letting us know all those details, Robert. Must have been a fun project, to be part of! Sorry to understand, Grandpa/Ken has passed away. I've not been aware.

Marco

If Xris did commission 10 of Grandpa's roboters and your a friend of his now, then maybe you know who bought them?  I would have thought you would have known about them?

Hello Ranger ,

I got one from the Grandpa Roboter 700 Series. The picture side by side with Original Roboter 700 is from my collection.

As far as I know, Xris has at least one, Ozzy has one, Klaus /Lunik has one. Some years ago Hotbotz/another Klaus got one but probably sold it. Xris also sold some more. 

The project was originally started as order from Xris and Henk as far as I know, but I am not 100% sure.

On 19/07/2016 at 2:04 PM, robert said:

Just to clarify: I helped Ken (Grandpa) build all of the Roboters - a total of 13 if I remember correctly. 10 of these were commissioned by Xris. They were numbered 1-10. With both of us building them it took about a month to complete them all. We also built 2 prototypes before the numbered series, and the one special blue and brass one during or shortly afterwards. These 3 were "Artists proofs" - not part of the numbered series. I had one of the 3. Not sure what happened to the other two since Ken has passed. I will take credit for the blue and brass Roboter, as I talked Ken into machining the pieces out of brass instead of aluminum and painting it a metallic blue, but he kept that one and as far as I know his wife Kay may still have it. For personal reasons I'd rather not go into I have not been in touch for several years. 

But let me emphasize here - I was basically a worker drone on these robots. Yes I helped to build them, and yes I had a little input on design and execution, but Ken did ALL of the heavy lifting. He created the CAD files for all of the parts. He programmed the Laser, the CNC mill - did all of the computer work. He cut and milled all of the parts. He made molds and cast most of the cast parts.  I just helped put them together. I wish I owned the blue and brass version but I do not. Oh, and yes, bodies and heads were made from laser cut acrylic plastic, arms and legs/ feet were cast resin, buttons, ears, and noses were milled aluminum and antennas were cut/ soldered copper tubing with beads.

A truly remarkable achievement if all he had as reference to build them was photographs!?!  A genius, what a shame he is no longer with us. 

Today it was time to sent out serial #4 to the USA.
Building time of a Roboter 703-D is speeding up a bit but the high temperatures this summer are slowing me down again a bit.

Its even getting so hot that my 3D printers having problems with printing and I saw some faults in the prints yesterday, just caused because of the high temperatures in my Caves.   I guess i really need an airco if the temp keeps this high :)

Overall the building is going smoother with every roboter I build but still i need at least a full week to build one.
I had some requests for other colors but I will not make them at this moment. I will stick to the original grey color.
I think making different colors make them not serious anymore... makes them look cheapos so I will stick to the silver grey... the original Roboter color.

I also had a few requests of people that want to buy the robot but want to build it up themselves.
If you look at the building of Roboter 703-D than you can see it takes quite some to make it.
I think its not possible because that would mean i print the parts, provide the parts and than you go for it...
There is simply to much between that and you dont have the room to make mistakes with the parts
so.. i think that is not an option but.... i can think about it but would not advice it :)

Though.. it WOULD be fun to see somebody else build up a Roboter 703 - D 

Time to get some sleep now

CHeers

Marco

A roboter in kit form. John has made robots in kit form. Most of us would be ok putting one together I would think. How long it takes each of us would not matter, some of us would be quicker than others and vice versa. It's a good idea I think. Just think of the time you could save Marco to do other things! Pity re the colours because I thought the blue one grandpa made was very nice.

Paul, do you think YOU could build this Roboter 703-D up by yourself ?
It will be more than simply putting the parts together Paul.

You will be provided with the rough 3D printed parts, the mechanism, dimensions and the parts you need
From there you will have to build it up by yourself with the use of the "Building Roboter 703-D" topic and extra useful information
I can provide there.  The rest will be up to you than.

It would probably bring the robot within your range and you could finally have a Roboter 703-D on your shelves, even in the color you want :)

I can think about this in my vacation :)
Would love to hear how serious you are to participate in this idea....

Marco

Marco, I think this has potential, but there could be two kits/price ranges; one would be completely on the sprue, clean it up yourself, and all that entails, and the other, all the waste would be pre-cleaned from the body shells, and the buyer just performs the assembly. That might be a fair middle ground; the first option only involves you printing and shipping parts, the second would involve your prepping of the parts, then shipping them for the buyer to assemble. 

These would be very similar to the old Japanese Kogure robot kits of the 50's and 60's.

I think there are a lot of us who could build it from a kit marco.  What makes you think I could not build one up? I would have one just printed and shipped as is. I am used to cleaning up and making jewellery from sprues, castings etc, it's part of my job so I don't think that's a problem. As you say, all the info is here, we just have to take our time and follow your build instructions. If we screw up, well thats our own tough luck but then hopefully you can print out any spare parts needed? I have all the kit for fine work, small screws, tapping etc, I have my own jewellery workshop, drills, lathes, burrs, cutters, polishing machines etc etc. How long it would take me, I don't know, I have to do my work, taxi service for 3 kids and the rest of it. I am pretty sure I could build it in a week if i had nothing to do but build that every day, could be very wrong of course!  Be good if john had one to build first, if it takes him over a week then we are all in the soup!  All still depends on the price, I ain't a rich bloke. 12 months and my house is paid for, hooray...more spare money!

On 7/24/2016 at 5:59 PM, Tinplate6 said:

Marco, I think this has potential, but there could be two kits/price ranges; one would be completely on the sprue, clean it up yourself, and all that entails, and the other, all the waste would be pre-cleaned from the body shells, and the buyer just performs the assembly. That might be a fair middle ground; the first option only involves you printing and shipping parts, the second would involve your prepping of the parts, then shipping them for the buyer to assemble. 

These would be very similar to the old Japanese Kogure robot kits of the 50's and 60's.

hello Brady,

It would be possible for me, ( i think ) to make a one set that can be build up.
making different sents in different stages would be taken to much time again.

It would be really something like this: 
all the printed parts you need to build up the robot

you will have to clean them and remove the support ( is not that much work to do )
making the legs hollow with a dremel ( that is the most tricky part )
and than build up the robot piece by piece..
all the parts will be added and the building topic will be the guideline. i can add info there when needed in answer to your questions.

i have to think about the price for this. 
every KIT Roboter will be the next one in the serial so the total build will still be 50 pieces, no matter what.
the box will be optional.

something like this....

To John:  Thanks for your kind comments in the building topic, appreciated !
                " Do it yourself " Roboter 703-D, lets build it ... hopefully in your range... 

To Robert : i know you asked me about this before..

In short,.. i am willing to make this "Build a Roboter 703-D " a project but I need to know

how many that are open for this.
I need at least 5 or so to invest in the time to work this further out and collect all the parts and print the parts.

Let me know your thoughts....

Marco

Here is another montage, this one showing the genuine Roboter 700 with his zero-run version on the rightmost position (open pic separately, to get full resolution).

Zero run Roboter 700 made of slightly blueish plastic, with small eyes and no lettering yet applied. For more details about this sensational piece see Dirk's post.

image.jpeg

1. Eagle "Robot 650"

2. Robert & Grandpa "Roboter 2010" 

3. Grandpa

4. VST, Marco, "Roboter 703-D"

5. Genuine "Roboter 700" 

6. Genuine "Roboter 700 Zero Run"

Archived