Roboter 703-D 3D Printed in Holland ! :-) Its Ready !!!! Yeahhhh :-)

marco

Looking at the pics closely again, it does look plastic I have to say. I must have just read a section when it was being made about metal, metal dials? dunno. I can't find that section at the mo. I will try and find it again later.  I know no more about this version than the few posts I have found. I wasn't on alpha when grandpa was making them...unfortunately. If it is mostly plastic then i stand corrected, no big deal. Its a superb finish on it then for a plastic bot.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plastic is great but tin is tops!

Maybe you could do a coloured or even multi coloured roboter?  That would be interesting to see.

Thanks John!  I know I read re him making tooling etc but the link to the actual build seem's to not be working anymore unfortunately.

Grandpa

Advanced Member

Members

489 posts

Posted November 2, 2008 · Report post

Eagle said:

Gramps,,, now that this Bad Boy is done ,I have some Questions. How long does it take just to machine the main components ? Also are the numbers for the dials a decal ?

Thanks Great job.

Eagle, I really haven't broken it down since I make a couple at the same time, but it takes about 30 hours total for each one from start to finish. The dial numbers and lettering are machined (laser engraved), decals would ruin the overall effect of making it a scaled reproduction.

The real time was spent making the 100 plus CAD Drawings and converting them to G-Code for the CNC Mill, Lathe and Laser. A fair amount of time was also spent on making fixtures to hold the parts to machine them, plus all of the molds were machined to make the cast parts. Needless to say it was not a money making project.

Great, you've already been busy. 
Let me throw in my photo montage. Trying to visualize the different sizes. Not perfectly, as the photos have been shot from different angles. 

image.jpeg

From left to right (note the robot's names):

1. Eagle built one "Robot 650" of wood 19" high (to top of antenna I suppose)

2. Robert built one "Roboter 2010" of spare parts from Grandpa's project, visible metal parts made of brass as specially built by Grandpa on Robert's request, all other specifcation probably same as Grandpa's series.

3. Grandpa built a repro series of 10 plus 2 prototypes

4. Genuine "Roboter 700" from single serial production run (small promotional series)

5. VST, Marco, "Roboter 703-D", ongoing serial production - all specifications as aforesaid

Grandpa's repro is built of plastic (cast and laser-cut) and metal (aluminium knobs, ears, nose, joints, plugs; copper antenna). It's a real pin walker with steady legs, electro-drive, rc battery control forward and reverse. Arms passively moveable. The eyes are no lamps. Laser engraved lettering and numbers. Some robots have "Made in Western America" written on front. Mine has "S/N 5 of 10" and "Grandpa's Robot Works" engraved on the back.

Grandpa and whoever might have been involved in recreating Roboter 700 with him, did a pioneer's job. They did not have access to the real genuine object. Based on picture material only (photo and probably patent drawing), all dimensional info was lacking. Determined and enthusiastically they succeeded to develop this already convincing look-alike. They did not just provide a still figurine but also added some mechanics. Anyway, in this pioneerig phase functionalities were secondary.

Robert and Eagle built their robots based on Grandpa's. Eagle also only had photos of Grandpa's development available, no dimensional info.

Marco now has captured the opportunity, to provide the first dimensionally true representation of Roboter 700, also being true in terms of looks and functionalities.

Great info lunikI! So, you have got one of the ten grandpa made. Be good to see them side by side. Yes, grandpa did a splendid job then as did eagle considering they had not got any original  to work from. Well that's good, all or most of the relevant info on one page.:thumbs:

11 hours ago, Lunik said:

Great, you've already been busy. 
Let me throw in my photo montage. Trying to visualize the different sizes. Not perfectly, as the photos have been shot from different angles. 

image.jpeg

From left to right (note the robot's names):

1. Eagle built one "Robot 650" of wood 19" high (to top of antenna I suppose)

2. Robert built one "Roboter 2010" of spare parts from Grandpa's project, visible metal parts made of brass as specially built by Grandpa on Robert's request, all other specifcation probably same as Grandpa's series.

3. Grandpa built a repro series of 10 plus 2 prototypes

4. Genuine "Roboter 700" from single serial production run (small promotional series)

5. VST, Marco, "Roboter 703-D", ongoing serial production - all specifications as aforesaid

Grandpa's repro is built of plastic (cast and laser-cut) and metal (aluminium knobs, ears, nose, joints, plugs; copper antenna). It's a real pin walker with steady legs, electro-drive, rc battery control forward and reverse. Arms passively moveable. The eyes are no lamps. Laser engraved lettering and numbers. Some robots have "Made in Western America" written on front. Mine has "S/N 5 of 10" and "Grandpa's Robot Works" engraved on the back.

Grandpa and whoever might have been involved in recreating Roboter 700 with him, did a pioneer's job. They did not have access to the real genuine object. Based on picture material only (photo and probably patent drawing), all dimensional info was lacking. Determined and enthusiastically they succeeded to develop this already convincing look-alike. They did not just provide a still figurine but also added some mechanics. Anyway, in this pioneerig phase functionalities were secondary.

Robert and Eagle built their robots based on Grandpa's. Eagle also only had photos of Grandpa's development available, no dimensional info.

Marco now has captured the opportunity, to provide the first dimensionally true representation of Roboter 700, also being true in terms of looks and functionalities.

Well Klaus, Thank you for the detailed and exact line up, that was really what we needed here :)
I knew the most of the ins and outs of the grandpa project but was not aware of the fact that the blue ones were build by Robert.

Also, i never was aware of the wooden one made by Eagle... really an outstanding job done there, making it out of wood, wow.. what a work !

One thing is for sure Klaus.. .Roboter 700 is really a fantastic robot that should be in every robot collection.
Its different, its cool and looks great. 

For your information Klaus... The Roboter 703-D Project has been spotted by an academy of Art in Belgium.
There will be an exposition next year in Experimental 3D projects and Pioneers in 3D scanning techniques and guess what... Roboter 703-D will be there !!! WOW. I am really proud of that !...Also Little Giant and Gosttavo will be there and also my new projects that are on the list for later this year.
More about that later of course, but.. how cool is that :)

Cheers !!

Marco

Yep. Ranger, me old matie, but tin is where it is at. Thats what got us hooked. The plastic rats are one of the reasons I have walked away from Alpha

Cheers Chilli

Ha, I can just see you...pin walking away!  I like the plastics but yes, when you have a tin robot in your hand it's different altogether.  The feel and the clunks and rattles when you hold one......there is something about that for sure.

16 hours ago, chilli said:

The plastic rats are one of the reasons I have walked away from Alpha

Cheers Chilli

I think I know what you are getting at, but :scratchhead:

21 hours ago, marco said:

... The Roboter 703-D Project has been spotted by an academy of Art in Belgium.
There will be an exposition next year in Experimental 3D projects and Pioneers in 3D scanning techniques and guess what... Roboter 703-D will be there !!! WOW. I am really proud of that !...Also Little Giant and Gosttavo will be there and also my new projects that are on the list for later this year.
More about that later of course, but.. how cool is that :) ...

Very cool! Arts Academy - exciting new ground!
I think, that is where robot and space toys belong.

Congratulations!

Yes Lunik

Maybe John could get his over there too? They certainly deserve to be part of such an event.  That's totally up to John of course.

Archived