Roboter 703-D

marco

That looks amazing, Marco! I want one, too, providing it only costs an arm OR a leg...I can't afford both! ;)

cheers,

dave

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, haven't you heard? Marco has a special pricing program, you can buy the new Roboter 703-D at $100, if you agree to buy the next 15 custom robots at full price! :diggin::biggrin:

Hey Dave and Brady :-)

I guess a leg will do Dave LOL.   The Third Ultimaker arrived here today to speed things up a bit.
Looks a bit out of this world now in my workshop... 3 printers capable of doing 24 printing hours each day... I am happy with that
because I can let 2 of them doing the production and one can be used for prototyping.

Having this said, I will be able to start the build of the second Roboter 703-D somewhere next week, do some tests and adjustments and hopefully
I can make it so that i can produce them.
Planning to make a first run of 1000 of these robots ( Just kidding :-) heheheheh

and YES Brady... there IS indeed a special pricing programm but its only available for ONE member...for YOU :-)
I will sent you the contract this week ok :)

Enjoy Botstock 13... and be welcome at RED ROBOT DAY 4 in Holland in november of this year :-)

Marco - san

• 3 weeks later...

Today I started to print the parts for the second and third protoype of Roboter 703-D that I will build up to test the mechanism.
There is finally room on the building plates of the 3 Ultimakers now that gosstavo is progressing well...
I really have to do some more tests to see if I can actually produce these robots. The first prototype I build up was actuall working
and able to walk ( a bit :)  This week and probably the next week will be Roboter 703-D printing time in FULL.

will add some pics later this week of the progress of the second prototype.
in that i will also explain the problems to solve and the solutions for them.
The problem is that scanned parts look awesome but.. can not be adjusted and altered that easily.. I had some email correspondence with John about this 

but its not that easy to add anything to the scanned files or make adjustments... Trying not to become to technical... a leg for example is ONE digitally part.
When you draw a leg in a 3d programm, its build up out of several different solids... a scan is ONE solid and can not be adjusted that easily... ( more about that later )

In the meantime I am also working with my friend nop on boxart for this robot so stay tuned... will be cool ( I guess hahahah )
I really can not wait to start to build up the next Roboter 703-D... its so fantastic to see this robot appear out of ... ehhh nothing...
out of a spool of PLA plastic to be exact..

Ok, enough now.. I really have to get some sleep now... 

More about the second build... SOON :)

Marco

• 3 weeks later...

Next week its Roboter 703-D week  ! :)
I have been busy to make several parts for the next prototype to build up.

Adjusting an existing clockwork mechanism and trying to fit and adjust it to the Roboter 700 parts is much harder than expected.
Last week i made some tests to make the addtional parts I need so I can attach the legs at the correct hight to the clockwork mechanism.
Also, because the length and shape of the legs is different, i have to re calculate the swing of the legs and the standing of the feet...
All together must help the robot balance at the correct angle and make him walk...

Here are some pics of the parts, the clockwork mechanism and the adjustments to make.. will be FUN next week :)
Keep you posted
Marco

13308415_1156752407680432_7445886753914598983_o.jpg

13316797_1156752421013764_1155073136778709428_o.jpg

13323302_1156752371013769_4547022588774768751_o.jpg

13329491_1156752367680436_2837952163211195366_o.jpg

13346270_1156752361013770_5349980525669714053_o (1).jpg

Yes hard to do but once you have one side designed that same files can be used to make the other leg. Lots work for Marco next week.

Ok, here again a quick update on the Roboter 703-D project.

Yes John... once the first leg has been completed and right adjusted, its the base for the rest and the other leg.....
To get it right took me really hours of calibrating... a single mm makes a big difference with a clockwork mechanism... its, however a challenge for sure and cool to do...with a steep learning curve for sure :)

The past few days I did some testing on the mechanism and trying to get the robot to walk. Quite a delicate job because simply everything needs to be redesigned and make fit into the body, legs and feet.

I did some tests with proto II but the robot is to big, to "top" heavy to go on the wheels i had in mind and i used in proto I.
In my opinion this can be also the reason why the robot was never taken into production by the way... the robot is relative high in size and the base of the feet

small.. made to fall forward or backwards i would say.

Also my firt prototype i made some time ago tended to fall forwards or backwards so i had to think about the wheels and base.. The room in the feet is very limited but its the space I have to deal with.

I made a new wheelbase using different mechanism, bigger wheels and the base is a bit bigger as well, that means that the front and back wheel are further from eachother, giving more stability.. ( I hope :-)

building them up today and hope to test it tomorrow... More to come.
In the pics you can see the frame i made to attach to the legs. that all seems to work fine now. the base for the wheels and the mechanism that fits exactly in the feet ( not a single mm space left, as if it was made for it :)
The driving rod for the legs is printed as one piece and pivits into the small grey block... this was my first test to print 2 seperate parts in one print... 

Next update tomorrow after some tests with the new Roboter 703-D wheels :)

Marco

13392129_1159099717445701_2590252038500520064_o.jpg

13404049_1159099677445705_6427827302485752101_o.jpg

13411621_1159099730779033_5173520068262675047_o.jpg

13418519_1159099674112372_163189080625393769_o.jpg

13418550_1159099680779038_4247491107639345064_o.jpg

Marco, this may be a bit pedestrian, but did you ever think to weight the robot? You know, either in the hips, above the legs, inside the legs, or perhaps in the feet themselves, this would change the center of mass to a lower spot on the robot, making it more stable. Just a thought.

Thanks Roboto..... really doing my very best to bring this project to a good end :)

BRady....

I know what you try to say Brady. There are so many things that have to fit and measured exactly first that the weight is not even the problem.
the 3D Printed parts are light and the clockwork mechanism I use is strong enough to power the robot.
when the main frame is standing, i mean the mechanism, legs and inside levers... the position must be a few degrees leaning backwards.

Than, when the body parts, arms and head are attached and the robot walks forward, the mass gravity or how do you say that in good english.. goes forward and puts the robots mechanism in an exact horizontal position.

So.... back to your remark... you can weight and add weight everywhere but its useless if the robots mechanism is not standing exactly above the legs and feet.
because of the "top heavy" head of the robot, and its hight...even 0.2 millimeter will make the difference in walking or falling forwards or backwards...
Earlier this week I had finally the robot walking as i had in mind. I think i added a short youtube somewhere before on the board but could not find it anymore..

here it is again, Roboter 703-D prototype II: walking test 2    

Marco

Now I found the correct settings to balance the robot in walking action I made a mold to aim both legs together with the structure to attach them to the mechanism.
This allows me to make both legs exactly the same at the correct hight and the correct angle.
I did this manually on the first prototypes but its simply impossible to make them equal only on view so i had to think about a way to make them all the same.

In this mold i can place the legs and the structure in the exact position and glue them together.
The first results look perfect... will bring balance to the force...  :)

Building and doing some final tests on prototype number 4, making the final structure for the arm movement and will complete the final prototype soon now.
The wheel base for the robot has also been completed now and this is the final construction.
The lever to drive the legs and feet can be clicked into the wheelbase.
for this i made 5 different levers with a 0.2 mm difference to adjust the robot. when building it up, i can choose the correct lever to find the correct balance for the robot.

Artwork for the box has been completed and the box will be ready somewhere at the end of next week, along with the fourth and final prototype of Roboter 703-D.... 

have a great weekend !

Marco

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

This is the same feeling you'd get knowing someone is baking your favorite pie, and you can't wait for it to come out of the oven!  🤖

What immense development effort, if it comes to details!

Keep on the good work based on love to this robot, Marco.

Archived