Roboter 703-D

marco

When you buy an ultimaker printer, its equipped with a full spool of silver/grey  "metallic " PLA so you can start printing when you have unpacked the printer.

With this color i made susie robette ( the small version ) for example and that color silver pla from ultimaker, was the closest that came to the original susie robette.
The first spool got empty and I wanted to order the same color, silver metallic in PLA. I ordered the pla at 3 other companies but not the same color.. 
and at ultimaker they did not sell it, only with a new machine... It took me 2 weeks to find out where ultimaker, who is based in the Netherlands got their PLA... From just across the border, in belgium so i ordered it there...

From that day this grey  / silver metallic was my favorite color to print with... the results are stunning with this particular PLA and the color matches the best susie robette i was working on..
Now.. with Roboter 703-D.... its basicly the same... I have looked for many other companies and colors to match but the "basic" ultimaker grey comes the closest to the original grey from Roboter 700....

I made very close up pics of the head and yes... when you compare that to the original.. its different... of course because this head is 3D printed, the original head material is molded and more than 60 years of age :).
totally different ways of production. Its not my intention to make a copy of the material... its my intention to make a detailed copy of Roboter 700  :-) and trust me.. there is enough challenge in that project to come to a working windup robot. Every part has to be thought over and making it actually walk with a windup mechanism requires some serious adjustments to the parts and the mechanism that i will use..... making it powered with servos, electro motors and electronics would be easier to do for sure. I believe grandpa also made a smaller version but that one was also electrical powered... i can understand why he did it.. its easier to do but...... the original 700 is windup powered so i want to go from there...

an absolute pro is that the 3D parts are light and very strong...so that is helpfull when making it clockwork powered.  I ripped apart several robots already for their clockwork but
to make it fit into the body is a challenge... not that much room and the original 700 mechanism is clever made for the body, its relative small and powers the legs on a special way 
The legs move with "pinwalking wheels " inside the feet. very special.

In the building where i have my workshop, there is a clockmaker, one of the few that exist in the Netherlands... He knows EVERYTHING about clockworks :)
I invested with him if the mechanism from 700 could be copied and yes its possible, all have to be handmade but its way to expensive.. only the mech would cost a small fortune to make all the parts by hand... so I still want to go with clockwork but will try to use an existing clockwork mechanism that i can rebuild for 703-D...

well... my thoughts for this saterday evening... ... went to the Jaarbeurs today by the way.... for the VERY first time... the biggest collector event is every year about 50 km from where i live and i never had the time to go there... untill today.... mwoa.... i have seen more robots in brussels on the collect hit  :-)
so I guess never missed a lot in all the years on the "jaarbeurs "

Have a great weekend

Marco

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a quick update on project: " Roboter 703-D "  The 3D Printed version of Roboter 700.

In the past week I was able to capture the rest of the body parts, the legs and feet and started to think about a mechanism for this robot.
This first prototype of Roboter 703-D is already equipped with a real clockwork mechanism. I needed to install this to get the correct dimensions for the position of the mechanism and the hight for the robot.
As i still had the original robot in my workshop i had to use the time to get it all sorted out. I have to bring the original 700 back to Xris next week so it had to be done now.

While printing the parts i found an error in the front part of the body ( there is a tiny hole that was not visable in the digital file but the wall of the frontpanel was simply to thin at that point so the printer could not print it.
I found out that the original frontpanel had some material removed on the inside. this caused a very thin wall a that spot.
I filled the hole in the original bodypart and made a new scan so the next prototype will have a perfect frontpanel.

One of the legs has a meltmark on the left leg but that was caused by me... duh... :-) will be OK in the next prototype for sure :)
There were made some internal adjustments to get the legs properly to the mechanism. I have to look at that part again to make it better. Also the hole for the key is not exactly at the same place so I will have to find a way to close the digital hole manually... ( can you still follow me :)
Surprisingly the robot is able to stand right up by itself... and even better, it already took its first small steps. I was happy with that because now i know i can get the robot actually walking with some adjustments to the legs and mechanism.
More about that later of course.

The arms swing loose now and I have to think about a way to get them moving with the mechanism. something for the next robot i will build up.
The head can turn as well by the way, just like the original 700.

So... Here are some first pics of the complete Roboter 703-D... Prototype number #1 :)
Next week I will print the parts for prototype #2 and will add the adjustments i have in mind. still some serious things to solve but I think I will get it working properly and walking with swinging arms.

Marco

DSC_0368.JPG

DSC_0369.JPG

DSC_0370.JPG

DSC_0371.JPG

DSC_0372.JPG

Looks great !

Meshmixer is a good program for "filling in or making holes" modifying 3d files, lots of youtubes on how to use it and its a free program.

Surreal... yes from time to time i am still caught by that feeling :)

John, yes meshmixer is a great program, i use it a lot but.... different than the parts you create in 3D by yourself ( they are made out of different parts that you group together at the end ) a scanned 3D file of a part is only ONE piece and can not be adjusted in meshmixer.
I have to find an other program to do this.  I believe 123 design has a program that can be used to alter scanned 3D files.

I tried it several times in meshmixer but it only messes up the file. The scanned file is one piece and making adjustments at an area, works out on the complete file that meshmixer wants to repair again than.
without that repair the file can not be printed.
So I will search for a solution to solve this and let you know. I will sent you a scanned file tomorrow by email, you can see the difference than by yourself and play with it if you want :)

Have to run now... dinner with friends... i believe there is a 500 gr steak at the menu :)  Jammie ! :)

Marco

Fantastic project! The roboter700 is one of the best robots out there,

and now we can all have one😄

But serious, its an amazing piece of work this 703D, I hardly could get my eyes off it, so beautiful, I love it!!👍🏻

Ok, ok . Now you've done it! Here's ANOTHER robot I gotta have! Ha ha. Very good Marco. Looking forward to the next update.

A great looking Roboter Marco.

Will the red coil survive to production unlike the red antenna on Gosstavo.

I think I was the only one that liked that! :biggrin:

Yes Maloo....

The red antenna WILL survive ! :) heheheh
There were not that many that liked the red on Gosstavo but you see... i brought it back on this 703-D :-)
Or maybe its because 700 has it as well hahahaha

Cant wait to do the next prints for the next prototype but Gosstavo is keeping the printers busy for the next couple of weeks I guess.
I hope my third printer will arrive here soon so that I can start to make the second 703-D and do the adjustments i have in mind :)

Marco

Hey Brady...
with both printers running fulltime for Gosstavo at this moment, it was the wait for my third printer that will arrive here on thursday.
I can start to make the parts for the second prototype of Roboter 703-D and i will keep you guys here in the loop about the process :-)
Cant wait to start with that one.. its really awesome to do.

so.. YEP.. more to come soon :)
Marco

Archived