3D printers and Alphadrome Members

robothut

Brady, I was thinking the same thing; I think it'd be "relatively easy" to do a gun in sections that could be connected for the finished product...probably a lot less detailed  than producing a robot.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday I used the free 3d program "Design spark mechanical" to do this new Mr Mercury type body and new wide legs and longer feet for a new robot I am thinking about. I printed the parts today. Just have to figuar out the arms and head now. The body prints vertical as one part, even the inside chest part. There are 3 holes in the top of the chest area behind the Mr. Servo for LED lights. Need to come up with some artwork for the chest area. I could do 3d printed reels and gizmos right in the plastic but then you would have to paint it by hand some how, so a photo image might be best. Any of think about getting a 3d printer thats fine but start playing with the free 3d cad programs first. If you can not design your dreams then whats the point of having a printer. Another free program I use is "123d" 123d will let you do text and design spark mechanical will not , so I do the text in 123d then export that file into design spark. Thats how I got the Mr. SERVO on the front and the ON  OFF on the back. If you have a file that has already been saved as a STL file then just like Marco's scan files you can not easly make chages as its all 1 big file at that point. So when I need to modify a STL file I use the free program MESH MIXER, it is not easy to use, there are videos on you tube that help. But I have managed to use many times. for example when I design some thing like the right hand foot and need a left hand foot there is a mirror function in Meshmixer that will do that with out to much trouble.

DSC01953.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

Hey John,

Body looks good ! well done drawing it in 3D. I agree with you. When you want to start with 3D printing, beeing able to draw in a 3D program is an absolute must !

Otherwise you will end up in printing things from the internet that you not really want at the end.

Have you ever tried Tinkercad ? ( tinkercad.com )  Its free also and allows you to draw easily the coolest things online.
Its also very useful to make tekst and logo`s, numbers etc.

I think for everybody who wants to start drawing in 3D, the first steps to this world.. Tinkercad.com is THE program to start with.
I have seen people draw the most crazy robot designs in this free program. 

An idea for the artwork on the chest area instead of a photo:  you can draw the "gizmo`s" in 3D and print the parts in different colors. I have seen you have enough different filaments.
using 3 or 4 colors ( glow in the dark gizmo`s ! :) would do the job and is much cooler than a photoprint :)

Cheers

Marco

John or Marcos is anyone up for producing a 3D Diamond Planet or the Rare Orange skirted Space Commander robot (like the Directional Robot) !

For the shape, the R Robot ( I think you mean that one :-)  I think the shape is not that exciting.  For that robot the Litho and the color makes it special
you can not capture that in 3D BUT>....... Yes... Diamond Planet IS....

In fact, its on my 3D " TODO " list but the previous projects kept me busy for a while.
I have the Diamond Planet in my collection and as soon as I am finished with the Gosstavo`s and Roboter 703 - D, I will make a 3D scan of the Diamond Planet Robot. ITs a perfect candidate to create in 3D.

I will figure out some ins and outs about that one and guide you through the process.

Maybe, if John is interested, we can do this Diamond Planet Robot together. John is the best in that technical stuff to bring them alive with all the gizmo`s, lights and meters..
I think it can be cool... I am open for it..

Marco

Yes I started with Tinkercad but I was not able to make it work for me, its not the problem with the program its the way my brain works, once I found Design spark mechanical I was able to finnaly make things as it fits my brain better. The Problem with Mesh Mixer is this. When you bring a 3d file in to the program its going to put it on the grid plate at some strange angle, so you need to move it. Well you will not find a tab for MOVE or POSTION no you have to click on EDIT. EDIT has noting to do with postioning something, so you know things are are going to be hard based on this. So after clicking on EDIT you look for MOVE or POSTION , you will not find it . You have too click on TRANSFORM, what the FXXX, what does transforing something have to do with moving it. Any way you can see that the way the program is set up everything is a struggle as they use the wrong terms for things. The program is good for modifing a STL file but hard to use until you learn they way they think.

Diamond Planet was on my list because it is the most requested robot that people al l  ways want me to build. I find it a kind of borring robot. and few chalenges are there for some new actions or fun. You could use two servo controled wheels like I did some time ago with the flying robot so you can move it around in any direction then make the arms move put in some flashing lights for the chest, then make the eyes move or light or both.Maybe the robot should have a sound track either voice or machine sounds ? We could have some fun with it I think.

Programms to fit the brain.. yep I know what you mean.
For meshmixer i had the same issue. i was lucky that my wife is very good with photoshop so she could tell me in a minute I should use TRANSFORM :)
The problem is you have to get familiar with so many difficult programs that you never can really dive deep into one to use all the features.
Tinkercad, meshmixer, 123Design, Cura symplify...to mention a few... pffff

Diamond Planet sounds like a plan John... The idea to use the same technique as the flying robot sounds very good.
moving eyes, meter and light.. maybe we have to look to the diamond prototype, the batterypack at the back can house easily 2 D-Cells... the body has it already.

I will bring Diamond Planet to my workshop next week and will think about making 3D scans of the robot.
I have to see if I have to take it apart, Guess so to make good scans of all the parts... Keep you posted on that part.

Plz email me your adres if you want John, I will sent Harlequin next week to you than.

Marco

This Morning I decided to make the arms for the new MR. Servo bot. The Mr Robot arms used on the Jutitor robot seemed like the way to go, so I just sketched the basic look on paper for scale then made the part in Design Spark Mechanical. This is good example of using the mirror function in Mesh Mixer. I decided that I would make the arms as 2 part units so that no supports or rafts would be required to print them. so I only had to make the out side of the right arms, then I changed the shoulder button part to a cup part to hold the magnet and saved that as the Left arm inside part. The I used Mesh mixer to Mirror the parts. I then had all 4 parts for left and right arms from one single design. The arm servo's are mounted to the body from inside with screws then the shoulder ring's are glued in place. The servo's have 1/2 inch metal disk's screwed to them for the arm magnets to stick too.

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01966.jpg

15 hours ago, Ranger said:

Yet another great creation John, it's looking very good. 

I agree, Mr Mercury connections, looking forward to seeing how this turn out.

Marcos and John , I feel both of you can make these toys come to life . I think it would be very cool to mimic the Diamond Prototype in a battery operated version for sure . Maybe a new color as well .

2 hours ago, Ranger said:

Ha, Oz, your obsessed with Jupiter! :biggrin:

LOL I am !! :thumbs:

John Please go for a Mr Robot style translucent or even glow in the dark head !!

Oh & put me down for one please !! 

Archived