BOTSTOCK X I I I - THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Tinplate6

Thanks for hosting again Joe, had a great time and it was good seeing everyone again...thanks again to Phil for sharing his collection with us!  I intended on driving up this morning to hit the outside flea markets but the rain talked me out of it.

...of course, thanks to John, Pam,and Ken for the special SWAG gifts!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alas, Sharon and I were only there Thursday thru Saturday morning but that didn't keep us from the fun. Sold a bunch of Andybots (thanks everyone!) and scored some nice booty!

Robert the Robot, version 2 from the German antique shop next to the Black Horse.

The nickle plated, never fired Hubley Atomic Disintegrator I got from Richard/Big Bang. This has been a grail of mine for sometime but recently not on my radar for various reason. Big thanks to Steve and the others for coaching me through it. It truly is a beautiful piece. I may regret not getting the box though.

In the foreground you can see a set of 1956 Lesney gas pumps I got to go with my die cast collection.

Of course there is the cool Hopping Robot from the one and only John Rigg! Big thanks to Marcy for the cool poster (not shown)!

BSXIII haul sm.jpg

Here is the official group shot taken inside Zia Maria's after the closing dinner. A great time was had by all. Pam and I will miss everyone till next year...already looking forward to it.

ZiaMariaGroupShot.jpg

The weather never cooperated, but I still needed to get a picture at the pavilion. 

Guess we needed some of that industrial strength Canadian whiskey to make it doable. Ah well. Still a great time with great people. Thanks everyone for another awesome BOTSTOCK !!

20160501_193005.jpg

Sorry Bob that Kelly, myself and Darryl couldn't make the whiskey run this year and very regretful for missing out on the most wonderful folks we know.  Sounds like great fun again this year.    :cheers:

image.jpeg

Our visit to Phil R's

One of Phil's magnificent dioramas!!

Some of the gang enjoying Phil's collection

The Abbey Road of Botstock?

Phil, thank-you so much for your(and Mrs. R's) wonderful hospitality, it was so worth the drive out!  The chocolate rockets and robots were a delicious treat😃😃😃😃😃😃

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...".

Disclaimer: I'm not much of a photographer, so please forgive what you are about to see.

Lucky 13? Well, sort of; although I do believe there was something to that special number. The curse came in the form of miserable chilly wet weather, that scared away much of the extravaganza we came to see, but the rest was pure sunshine. Nothing can dampen the spirits of true Alphadromers, and we made the best of what could have been a bad situation. 

I can't stress how great it was to see everyone again, that, in itself, was the main attraction, of course, the toys ain't bad either.

Uncle Joe, of course, ever the consummate host; the Toy Robot Museum was the hub, around which Botstock revolved; he was always injecting that much needed sunshine into our inclement weekend excursions...thanks, Joe.

I arrived early, to help with any last minute efforts, and the crowd trickled in. The Thursday pre-game show at the Black Horse tavern was just the appetizer to a weekend of good friends, good food ( yeah Joe, the food was important too! ) and even better room sales!

The cases in the museum were stocked with special displays of rare and unique robots and space toys. Brian brought his fantastic space tank prototype, that thing was big, and heavy.

IMG_1546.jpgIMG_1551.jpg

Steve brought in his incredible tin robot sculpture; another huge item, that was unbelieveable.

IMG_1548.jpg

Perry, provided an assortment of John Rigg's homemade robots, and each one was a real treat!

IMG_1550.jpg

He also brought a gorgeous Space Patrol ship!

IMG_1547.jpg

The Kutztown Renninger's road trip didn't really pan out, and I came up empty handed, but it was something new, so I enjoyed it...and yes, those are Joe's golden locks in the photo below. :biggrin:

IMG_1542.jpgIMG_1541.jpg

Running the strip in Adamstown is always a good time, but again, there was little if any space toys to be had...*sigh*. However, what the less than-extrave event lacked, the room sales made up in spades! I did ok, and picked up some great guns.

IMG_9596.jpg

Andy brought a collection of his Andybots for sale, and they just disappeared before my eyes; just a mob of hands grabbing everything in sight!:ohmy:

The big treat Saturday was the Trip to Phil's home to see his collection, and what a collection it was! Upon arrival we were greeted by Phil, and his lovely wife. Their beautiful home was made even better by Phil's amazing hand-crafted Buck Rodgers dioramas. Folks, Phil has some crazy building skills, these ships were incredible!

IMG_1555.jpgIMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

The basement was the main attraction, filled with all manner of cool space toys, and his famous Buck Rodgers pieces. 

IMG_1557.jpgIMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1556.jpgIMG_1563.jpg

However, Phil also had displays of his Disney collection, impressive glass paperweights and even a collection of vintage flashlights! Soon, the basement was filled with the smell of fresh veggies and cold cuts, and we were treated to a sub sandwich lunch that was excellent. Overall, it was a great morning, thanks to Phil and his wife for allowing us into their home to enjoy their hospitality.

Saturday night was the main dinner at the diner and the swag raffle, this is alway a great time, and there were some neat pieces offered this year; everyone had a good time, and really, that's what it's all about.

Sunday, we hit the local Renninger's, hoping for those last minute finds; assuming, of course, that we have any money left to buy them! The "last supper" at Zia Maria's is the icing on the cake, a bitter-sweet ending to a special event. I'm always sad to leave, knowing I won't see my friends again for another year, but hey, that gives me something to look forward to; Botstock 14!! See you all there!!

Andy, I won the Alpha III. Thanks for your great generousity each year. Sorry I missed you. Fantastic!!!  It's already on display with Alpha II. I'm still reorganizing the last 2 days from my open house.  Thanks for the X500 material. I'm just starting to look though it and I'll get back to you. I'm also showing the Little Giant 3D printed robot at Joe's , John's great creations and the Brian's spectacular rocket tank prototype .

P4300041.JPG

P4300040.JPG

P4300044.JPG

P4290039.JPG

P4290032.JPG

P4280008.JPG

P4290035.JPG

P4280011.JPG

It looked like it was a great event this year again there overseas ! :)
cool to see the pictures, the meetings and to read the stories !

I never visited the US but Ill think its time to seriously think about it :)
I really have to visit the hut from John and it would be great to join you guys at dinner next year at BS 14

Keep up the good work there !
Robots RULE ....

marco

OOPS! I just realized that I have "Alpha III" printed on the box and not "Alpha XIII". Don't some people collect misprints?

Congrats, Phil! Two years in a row! I know it says "Alpha XIII" on the actual robot so we're covered. Enjoy!

I love the Rigg Orange Smoking Spaceman Electric Robot. Is there a movie of it anywhere?

Great write-ups, everyone. I really don't have anything to add other than to say I had a FANTASTIC time, and it was great getting to see everyone again! Thanks to Joe for hosting, Phil for opening his home to us, and Brady for helping to pull it all together. 

The strip was, for the most part, a bust. I did, however, pick up a number of cool toys from some of the dealers and raffle.

From Richard, I snagged the Space Survey Jeep and Robert the Robot Bulldozer. 

space survey jeep.jpg

robert bulldozer.jpg

From Perry, I got the Space Commando and Foster Bank.

space commando.jpg

bank.jpg

And finally, I won the small Soviet robot in the raffle, and then traded some stuff to Robert for the large Soviet robot bank. 

russian robots.jpg

Oh, I did get one thing at Renningers -- the Mold-O-Rama Sinclair Dinosaur from the 1964-65 World's Fair. Not a space toy, but Mold-O-Ramas were definitely space age fun!

dinosaur.jpg

Archived