Alps Mr Brain, gold color version

chilli

david, chilli was referring to me.

yes chilli, they are old and no doubt genuine, as is the gold paint, that looks like paint.

congratulations again, such a great find. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chilli

• David Kirk

• plasticaugie

• martijn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great find mark!

Can you show inside the head the wiring inside and behind the light bulbs??

if there is no sign of paint at all on the knees its defenitly in the category of the chris alps

this all reminds me again of the golden sparky myth or legend which i never saw good pictures of.

only a half one in fehlbaums book and stories henk gosses told

maybe that one will add a lot info to your mr brain

It looks the real deal to me chilli. Still interesting that on the picture of xris' s re the back packs, you can see on the all silver one that it has the gold colour staining on the seams.

Very interesting piece -- definitely an intriguing addition to the story. If I had to guess, I'd assume it's some sort of sample. Either a color sample or perhaps an early run used by salesmen as a presentation piece to stores (or possibly Toy Fair, or something similar). That's where lots of these odd variations and pre-production examples often come from -- it's how the make it out "into the wild," so to speak.

Was the seller in the US or Japan (or some other country)? Was he or she able to provide any background information? 

Hm. No additional information. Too bad... Even a little bit of history could help shed more light on the toy. Oh well!

doc, the info will be here but not for a while yet. :sorry:

Maybe i am wrong but for me it still looks just like a robot in not so good condition with wrong bulbs. Definitively original but I do not believe it is a salesman sample.

i do not see real gold color here - however some parts have different color as the original production piece and the red knees are missing.

there are a few other toys like silver sparky robot with similar colored legs - my assumption in the pasr was the treatment or coating of the metal sheets during the production process- could be a thin oil surface treatment for whatever reason which over 40-50 years changed the color from silver to this darker color version or turned around metal sheet on the wrong side.

As long as there is no evidence I still doubt that it is a sample toy . it is easy to assume but hard to prove. 

This toy comes already with the final production box - would an early sample come boxed ?

However these are just my feelings about his toy - maybe it might be a sample - maybe not.

nevertheless it is an original toy of the mid 50s and worth keeping and enjoying!

Chili - if you read this check the bulb voltage - originals should have 1,5V not 3V like most of the later toys. Are they working?

Can you remove a bulb and enlarge the picture? They are different from the production bulbs but they seem to look familiar.

Still a Piece worth searching for more about its history and background - thank you for catchimg it and starting this thread.

I guess one day I have to search for the history of Alps Mechanical Brain in Japan- the maker (fabrication) sign SHI(?) is also shown on the box - same as on the blue ratchet robot.

• 2 months later...

As I was taking some pics for my site against black today, I noticed that without any light flaring onto the robot, you can see the colour gold a lot stronger. If you look in tungsten light it is hard to see as the wavelenths of tungsten are not for colour photography. But flash and daylight show the gold colour.

mr_robot_and_strenco.thumb.jpg.03d123f74

Ok also I noticed that the knees, which should normally be red actually have the litho in an black oval around it, so these have not been repainted.

mr_robot_and_strenco_knees.thumb.jpg.b33

As requested by Gernot the bulb reads HONGKONG 222 2.2V.

bulb.thumb.jpg.3c5770a369b5e5b2b6582192ebulb_3.thumb.jpg.f848d9e147e65a893de00b3bulb_2.thumb.jpg.5b18dc3213c2a5819f5ea1b

Inside of head and hand for Martijn

inside_head.thumb.jpg.ac2d945c524bd0e3c1inside_hand.thumb.jpg.da9a03998a8b555a99

Cheers

Chilli

Beautiful picture of the 2 together mark! You should consider photographing for profession😁😄

yes daylight really gets this gold color, i also noticed on my sparkys and st1

thanks for the inside pics! they show the same as my alps brain inside