Why Do They Do It? Bad Mr Atomic Ebay

chilli

Having those toys proves he has the money to buy nice toys, or at the least has good taste in toys. But it doesn't prove he has read Alphadrome as much as we have or is as knowledgeable. Just sayin.

Hi Don,

if you check back through his sales you will see he has photos of his items against a background of rows of robots on shelves.

I dont point the finger unless i have done my homework.

post-1849-0-77481000-1414188431_thumb.pn

cheers

Chilli

Nice collection! I guess I'm more of a benefit of the doubt - innocent until proven guilty sort of guy. A large collection proves to me only the means to collect. Sort of like a person who can afford a Ferrari but knows nothing about how to work on one. It's not impossible for a person to collect a lot of toys without becoming an expert on all aspects of them. Assuming the seller knew it was a repro because he has lots of toys seems a little unfair for my tastes. I'm not saying it's not possible - just that I can't say I know one way or the other for a fact. One thing that doesn't make sense to me is a person who obviously sells a lot of toys on ebay knowingly jeopardizing their reputation on a scam that didn't have a great chance of working anyway. For someone who does a large volume of selling on ebay in a small market like vintage toys, the most valuable thing is your reputation.

Anyway - What we can say for certain is this seller knows the facts about the Mr. Atomic reproductions now!!

Cheers my friend!

Yes, "original" is stretchy, but "original" is a word that can have all sorts of meanings. I mean, let's say some ignorant buyer wants to buy a robot that has a very "original" design. Maybe he'll type in "original robot" and see what comes back. Meanings are in people and not in words. I'm not trying to win a debate here or anything, but I don't think it's really fair to keep a seller from describing his item however he chooses. (His reputation will form over time anyway, and in turn, buyers will respond in kind.) "Gosh, what a uniquely original toy," someone might say, and then we can hash out our respective meanings of "unique", too. Now this brings to mind the guy who sold the "Microsoft XBox picture as shown above" when the XBox first came out and was on fire. The winner received a picture of an XBox, just like the seller described. I do believe this was about the time ebay began locking down real hard with seller protections. There's always a bad apple out there to spoil the fun, and now the turnabout is such that scamming buyers can do about whatever they want to even the straightest of sellers. Once ebay spins off PayPal, maybe we'll see another competitor step up to the plate. Some actual competition would do everyone a lot of good, and it would expand the segment of consumer-to-consumer selling. Witness how the invasion and subsequent success of Japanese cars into the US market managed to get GM and Ford to finally put out decent product. Did I just digress?

Personally I think this thread should now be wound up and removed as the seller was good enough to do what was asked, add a bit more information

cheers

Chilli

Keith - your logic reminds me of the old carnival scam/joke where they advertised that for the price of a ticket you would get to see a "man eating chicken". The sign showed a very large chicken. Once inside the tent those who paid for a ticket were shown a man sitting at table eating a chicken dinner. Technically what these people were shown fit the description of what they were promised, but all agreed (including those selling the tickets) that the ticket buyers were duped. Basing a misleading description on wording that can be interpreted two ways is still a scam.

The job of keywords is to bring viewers into the tent. Once inside, he who enters can decide whether to spend any actual money. If the sole purpose of this thread was to induce a seller to modify his listing, I am remiss for chiming in. I am, however, always up for a discussion of the hair-splitting kind, and sometimes maybe I'm responsible for initiating them. That toy is still arguably original, right? Is it not made by the same folks who made it the first time around?

No - it was made by different companies with completely new molds and parts - made by copying the old parts - the one coming from Japan was made by Osaka Tin Toys using the Metal House Factory as Production Factory -

Therefore it is definitively a Reproduction.

Gernot, thanks and thus advised! Oh well, I never paid a whole lot of attention to tin toy robots that were made after about 1969. In fact, I did not pay much attention to the listing or the other comments in the thread. I think sometimes I just like to rush in and play the devil's advocate. This probably comes from the occasional idiots who come along and make faulty assumptions, rushing to (typically incorrect) judgment about me and my thinking.. It can be a bit unnerving at times. There is such thing as the honest mistake. Nope, I still have not read the whole listing. The "Tin Age" photo would clue anyone in that the piece was not made in 1962. Maybe the seller truly did not know. Oh well, someone said the thread was over, but it's always nice to talk about things having to do with vintage tin toy robots made in Japan. Oh, and on a side note, I got lucky and managed to get into someone's house a couple of weeks ago, where the owners were emptying it all out prior to demolition. There were toys in the attic, and I thought it was going to be my long-awaited payday. It turned out to be some old Fisher-Price stuff and other garbage. ::SIGH:: Well, I did at least manage to get some decent general antiques out of the deal, so it was worth my time. But no robots. Drat. I swear, it has been SO LONG since I have pulled a Japanese robot or space toy from an unexpected place.

Archived