Mike Van Plew, Milwaukee Machine Man

Morbius

It was my mistake and I apologize for it. I saw a post of his in Robot Talk...turns out it was an old post on an old topic that was brought up again. I hope we get some news on him soon, and good news.

Especially Mike. He was a permanent fixture at Botstock. He didn't make the last one not due to bad health, but he said they just couldn't swing it this year and hoped to make the next one. Well I guess that isn't going to happen now if he is as bad off as I hear. I'm sure going to miss him and hope, by some miracle, he can make it.

But my wife and I were just talking about this that most of us are "up there" in age. You don't seem to see the young kids collecting these guys. It's like the over 45 crowd that does this and it's sad to see one go down. I pray the rest of us God speed and remain in decent health to enjoy the hobby and our company at Botstock. Let's all hang in there and do our best.

Well said Ken. :cheers:

Yeh, the guys who installed our new furnace were in their 20's. Walked right by the robot room, I asked if they'd like to see it closer and ...nope. :scratchhead::frustrate:

I needed a new garage door. The guy that came out had to be late fifties. Well, when he came in my house he went totally ga ga over all my robots. And other stuff. But the robots really got his attention. "WOW, that is so cool...HEY THAT'S ROBBY THE ROBOT! I love your Robert collection...those go back to the fifties..." and on and on. I couldn't get him out of here...LOL.

A month ago, I needed the Roto Rooter guy to come out. Young kid, say mid 20's. Came in the front door...walked right past everything and said nothing...both coming in and going out. Like every living room has tons of robots in it. I guess this shows that it was our generation that had all the good stuff. Kids don't collect anything these days unless it's video games or zombie figures. Nothing from their childhood to reminisce about. How boring is that?

Being that Halloween is coming, I pulled out my old Creepy Crawler set, and I mean my OLD one...the one with the hot plate and the water bath to cool them down. I spent hours playing with that as a kid. I bought my daughter the updated one when she was small, the one that used 100 watt light bulbs. It sat in the corner and she shows no interest in my old one at all. I guess if it's not attached to a flat screen, it's useless.

I wouldn't be so quick to put down the younger generation's taste. A while back my daughter had brought over a friend who was in his early 20s. She showed him my studio/display room and he said it was the coolest room he had ever seen in his life. Now granted, I have more than just tin robots in there but come on now...the kid knew cool when he saw it.

Archived