...and talking of collecting trends!

The Toyman

Oh, I'm not defending AFA -- I could spend hours discussing all my problems with AFA and grading in general. I think the fastest way to wring the life out of a hobby is to introduce it to a grading company. But this is old news within the Star Wars community, and none of the heavy hitters who collect prototypes tend to care very much about whether somethjng's graded or not. When a piece is one-of-a-kind, who cares if it's got a low or a high number attached to it. At that point it's completely irrelevant, and I'd be surprised if it had too much affect on those collectors' interest in the piece.

But my point wasn't AFA, anyway. My point was that it was a legit piece with high collectible value for reasons that were being ignored. And that if we're going to discuss toys on this board, it's better to do so accurately and with a proper understanding of the piece.

As for the auction... Shill bidding? Possibly -- like I said, many within the SW community were surprised by the price.

But then again, when a first shot pre-production piece that sold for $800 two years ago sells for $2500 today, heck, anything's possible.

Yeah... Following up on the "more controversy" link that Oz posted... Definitely shill bidding, and my friend Shane seems to have nailed the explanation. Drive up the price with shills to facilitate a private sale down the road by inflating the apparent value.

That's what it comes to when you initially overspend, I guess. Still rare, still an amazing piece, still pretty freakin' valuable. Too bad the seller originally overpaid and will now probably be stuck with it.

Sports cards...yeh, I recall putting those in the spokes of my bike, they were only bought to keep the bubble gum from bending in the package. :woohoo:

I watched a less than spectacular but quite entertaining Jackie Chan movie last night called "Chinese Zodiac", in one scene at an auction, a collector paid a fortune for a set of four rare stamps...the ONLY four in the world the auctioneer bragged. The winning bidder then took hold of them and ripped three of them to pieces and declared "NOW THERE IS ONLY ONE!" to which his cohort shouted, " AND NOW ITS VALUE HAS QUADRUPLED!"

I thought to myself, hmm....that's interesting! :scratchhead:

( you get the picture?)

Noel

:rolling: Marco, I only have 5 or 6 Star wars items, not totally mint, but they are genuine, and rare.

I wouldn't know where to start with the carded figures, although I did buy a collection of ROTJ and ESB carded figures years back, they were shop stock and they were absolutely mint as can be, so much so that collectors were outbidding each other at my stall to buy them! I've NEVER had that happen before or since! :ohmy:

Noel

• 3 weeks later...

That is pretty crazy its from droids a not popular star wars cartoon too. Production used stormtrooper helmets and prequel movie production used lightsabers have sold for far less. The rocket firing bobba fett figure is not that costly and at least it is recognizable

and even mentioned on the cardbacks of other star wars figures. That one would seem more desirable to me.

Swaying from the subject matter slightly but staying with the same topic, these have just ended at $7,300.00 and look at the condition!

post-648-0-06308300-1405492785_thumb.jpg

Archived