building the Wind Up AlphaBot 2014

robothut

Now I spray glue the plastic photo print on to the body. Once its in place the nose part gets glues on.

post-7-0-16267700-1401587440_thumb.jpg

The resin feet now get glued on to the legs . I made a little caulking gun like thing to fill all the body seams, where sides meet fronts and stuff like that. I took a small plastic bottle and fitted a small brass tube to the lid then filled it with white glue.

post-7-0-10011300-1401587624_thumb.jpg

Now its time to make the boxes. I made a master box with inserts then used those master parts to trace out the shapes on to card stock. saved alot of measuring that way. so I just cut out all the parts fold all the parts, glue all the parts and before you know it you have a box.

post-7-0-20924700-1401587726_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-81604800-1401587821_thumb.jpg

Hey John,

Cool to see the process of making this robot. FIrst I would say that paper is not strong enough to hold the forces of the mechanism...
I saw you used that draw programm to create the parts which reminds me of the fact I still have to sent you the pictures to create Electroman.
Simply have been way toooo busy but I did not forgot, will do that soon.
Maybe a nice base for the next alphabot ! ? :)

Thanks for sharing this

Cheers

Marco

Hi Marco, the card stock is stronger than a tin Lilliput repro robot ! Very solid in feel and operation.

Hello John,

Never expected that to be honest.
You must have had quite some work making these robots.
I ordered one but I assume there are non left anymore ! ? ;-)
would be great to have one on my shelves, would be my FIRST alphabot ;)

marco

I have not heard how many showed up for Botstock yet so have no idea if there any left over. maybe Joe or Brian will post some details on how many showed up and if there are any WU alphabots left over and so on. I do understand that in some cases today is the last day of botstock, just depends on when the last guy leaves right ! and then they have to rest up so I have hopes hearing more about how it all went.

John,,Thank you for this fine contribution to the world of robots. I appreciate the time and effort that went into this endeavor . The box is pure genius. Only thing better would have been for you to have hand delivered !

Archived