Botstock XI - And so it begins...

Pam

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question John - about 25 strong (not everyone visited at Brady's).

Botstock as usual was alot of fun - and per usual for me it is about seeing my friends which was just great. Pat, Fineas, John, Andy among other regulars were very much missed but very much there in spirit as is the person who has made this all possible -Brian Hayes!! Joe and Brady were the perfect hosts and Brady is a master at display.

Crazy but I too am thinking about our next one!!

Wonderful time for everyone, great to see all the familiar faces and then some especially Joe for being a great host as always.

Many were greatly missed this year but were well thought of. Darryl and I have had a great evening, lots of bots and a little 'cheer'...(as usual Darryl did his inspection and tweaking of our latest finds...thank you Robotnut)! It was a terrifically fun trip with Darryl and the time travelling passed beautifully on the way home and I thank him very much for his company on this great trip with Kelly and I. Also a big thanks for his Tetris packing of the car with all the tin army that *Altaira had gathered this weekend thanks to the help of Dr. Atomic (Brian S. and Big Bang (Richard). The helped greatly in getting the tin gang together and one plastic for me, Jay of Robot Island for his great wares and Perry for bringing such great stuff to our shelves.

As for the border, it was a LOT easier going home, "Where're you from, when did you go, no tobacco" and on our way. Luckily the car in front of us was inspected this time around. (sigh of relief).

Thanks to all that made this Botstock so great, and yes we raised a toast to Pat and Brian H. Also to our great friend John Rigg for his contribution to us all while there, very much appreciated. :biggrin:

:cheers:

I'm still resting up from the fast and furious weekend at Botstock, it seems like it came and went in the blink of an eye. As always it was great...no, awesome seeing my fellow Alphadromers and friends. Discussing robots, ray guns, and space toys with like-minded people is a real treat. Many thanks to all who attended and to those who couldn't, especially Brian, and a special thanks to Joe K., Doc Atomic, Tinplate6, and John! The raffle at Sunday's dinner was unexpected and well appreciated by the "meat" of Alphadrome!

I'm still cleaning and preparing my booty from the three-day experience and will post pics when complete. Below is what I had on display during this year's event...space cars, Coma Spacemen, and a couple robots I'm building out of plastic parts, etc. The robots are about 4-4.5 inched tall, unfortunately I wasn't able to get them finished and painted before Botstock rolled around.

attachicon.gifIMG_5461.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5465.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5462.JPG

Bill, your robots are awesome! I'm glad you got back to making robots again. I can't wait to see them finished.

Thanks Andy, I was hoping you'd like them. I tried working with tin and found items but never really finished anything so I thought I'd fall back to what I know best...styrene plastic, spare model parts, etc. All of the robots will be small (4-5 inches) with moving limbs and head. With the cycloptic robot I tried something different by putting magnets in his feet so he'll stick to a metal stand. After I finish the second robot I'll paint both at the same time.

Actually, I felt right at home at Brady's place. I always thought it was odd that people in the US wore their shoes in the house. There's an old Canadian saying that only the priest or the police are allowed to wear their shoes, in your house...

That being said, I'm back on the train, heading home. With the gracious hospitality of Morbius Mike, Altaira and Mike's better half Lori, my Botstock was extended two additional days. Last night Morbius had his 2 yearly beers as we talked and watched the Twilight Zone.

Of course, I have to thank Joe, Brady, Brian and all the usual suspects for making this a great Botstock. Mark aka Eagle and I actually did solve all the world's problems, on Saturday night. All you have to do is, surround yourself with friends, kill your own meat and build something damn it...

I had a great time at Botstock again this year. I would like to thank Joe K for hosting again, Brian S for organizing and Brady for sharing his amazing collection(s) with us. Thanks to John Rigg for another great Alphabot creation, and to Perry for bringing some of his beautiful rarely seen space toys. The best part was catching up with old friends who share a common interest. Congratulations to Ken for winning my robot head prototype and the auction for John's second prototype Alphabot pin walker. Congratulations to Bill (Tinman) for scoring the Marx Spaceman and Altaira for finding a bunch of Mego Man style robots. Thanks Brian for the newly molded half raygun remote control for the Marx spacey car.

Still going through the pics I took, only now I'm looking for things you haven't already shown off! :)

I did process this one... Brady's got so many amazing toys on display -- and displayed amazingly -- but this collection of Miller Aliens always stands out for me. I love these things and he's managed to put together such a clean set. It's definitely my go-to pic as I begin thinking about building my own set.

More tomorrow, I hope!

post-124-0-88363400-1401829233_thumb.jpg

This is my haul from this week. I got 7 mego men in total (5 found in the town itself after hours of hunting) & a few great finds including a Mr. Atomic, 7 ray guns, & what looks to be a mint store stock Jupiter robot.

What a wonderful group. I'm not sure I've even seem all those mego man versions. I love the blue soldier!

That's an amazing set of aliens just above too. I've never seen most of those. The snakey guy is especially fine.

Here are some pics of Brady's. Thank you for allowing all of us into your wonderful home. (Of course if you have any issues with any of the posted pics I'll remove them).

This is the period pharmacy alongside the sci-fi world.

post-298-0-95453200-1401926975_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-40243000-1401927235_thumb.jpg

Archived