Dan Dare Pocket Watch - Genuine and Fake

Brian..

Maloo, that's a great watch and was made by Smiths.  The Smith's box with that faded Dan Dare piece is actually the one that belongs  with the Festival of Britain watch. 

Thanks for the added info Brian.

I think patience is the word with these two watches.

The Dan Dare has a lovely case but all the great colours of the watch are just too diminished.

I wish it was the other way around and the case was poor.

• 2 weeks later...

This one has appeared on a reputable UK auction site, they are saying it is an Ingersoll Dan Dare type :scratchhead:

2107192765_dandarewatch.jpg.1a9750f63e4b08164628ed9d562b0645.jpg

It's a good original 1950s Smith's space watch with a Dan Dare-like image. Not Ingersoll and not Dan Dare, though.

It's  a pity that they don't show the back of the case to see if it still  has the original festival of Britain emblem.

I have read that a lot of cases were swopped out when the last of the watches failed to sell in the fifties.

• 6 months later...

Have had my watch fifty years not sure about previous owner but would guess between ten and twenty. No mention of Dan dare and face is just shades of green. Apart from that it’s identical perhaps it was a pre Dan dare before copyright obtained curious for any information thanks nick76865A45-05C3-4239-8358-48C97F716137.jpeg.02df7e4c00ed6b7cd10d20516554eabf.jpeg76865A45-05C3-4239-8358-48C97F716137.jpeg.02df7e4c00ed6b7cd10d20516554eabf.jpeg

AC17C7F8-5AC4-4AF2-AE8D-BB350E3360B8.jpeg

94DE2A8F-98AF-4AB2-B2F0-7CD7753A61A0.jpeg

Is is possible that the Dan Dare wording has faded, along with all the other red shades?  This watch had a very long run and variations are likely. The only reason they would drop the Dan Dare wording is if the license had run out. This happened with a few other Dan Dare pieces. 

There is a later version of the watch without Ingersoll wording, but I've not seen one without Dan Dare wording. 

No Dan dare on face it was green fifty years ago still has what I’m assuming is original fob I wonder if it was pre Dan dare rather than post what we’re run dates for coloured dan dare thanks 

• 2 months later...

Here's a particularly poor fake. Just look at the quality of the Dan Dare wording.  "AN DA"

If you're taken in by this crap, you really deserve it. 

d.jpg

• 1 year later...