Robots in commercials

robothut

The Robot from Lost in Space was actually used in two commercials that I know of. The first was for a product called Mrs Filbert's 'Take 'em Tubs' pudding. This commercial aired in the very early 70's. Basically, The Robot enters a classroom of Children, announcing himself as their new Teacher. He introduces the class room to the pudding which makes the happy children all cheer in response to his "How do you like the Pudding?". Noteworthy of this commercial is that The Robot's neon is missing (presumably broken) and has been replaced by randomly placed Christmas lights behind clear plex which blink in sync with his voice. I believe this commercial may have been regional to the New England Area (Lost in Space was huge in syndication in the Boston area). This was airing during a time when Fox was renting out the costume- but just before they rented him out to the Austrailian production of 'Mystery Island' where he was terribly disfigured and painted white.
The Robot also appeared in a futuristic setting for a Lawn Mower, however I only caught this once, and it may also have been regional.
Unfortunately I have not been able to find either of these commercials on YouTube.

post-86-0-92182900-1376923727_thumb.jpg

This was airing during a time when Fox was renting out the costume- but just before they rented him out to the Austrailian production of 'Mystery Island' where he was terribly disfigured and painted white.

post-16-0-66284900-1376938485.jpgpost-16-0-19756300-1376938894.jpg

"Oh, the pain!. THE PAIN!."

Not sure if the 1980 movie, "Mystery Island", had the robot in it, but a 1977 Saturday morning TV show entitled "Mystery Island" did. See a clip here:

http://robotsinfilm.com/robots-in-television/skatebirds-the-mystery-island/

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. My bad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Will Robinson, I remember the commercial you are talking about exactly as you say except for one thing...the name of the pudding was different. Like you said, it was regional, so maybe for New York State, or my part of it, they changed the name. With the robot there are no lips to synch, so anything could be put in there.. But the pudding he was hawking was "LICK LIDS PUDDING." It was based on the idea that you could lick the lids unlike Snack Pack that had a metal lid, kids were slicing their tongues all over the place, I assume, because of the nature of the commercial. But at the end of the commercial, the robot says "I wish I could lick lids" and goes into the pulled out power pack maneuver. And all the kids go "Awwwwww." And the commercial ends. But I remember the cheap Christmas lights on the chest too reminding me of those old light boxes you bought for your bedroom and placed on your stereo and they blinked with the music. It was a let down, but I was thrilled to see him off the unemployment line, at least for a little while.

Archived