Latest Pickup; TV Spaceman

mike van

:) Lovely robot! 40 years or so old and it is fantastic! You need to send her a gift certificate or something! -Larry 7

Congrats Robotnut, you got a nice one ! Up above you said you always cleaned them up, what do you use? Oh I know, NAPTHA - LOL - On a more serious note, when they come like mine did with grime so heavy it won't just wipe off, whats the best cleaner? I like the wax because it's not a solvent and it does leave a protective film behind. Is there something better? :unsure:

:) Glass cleaner on a Q-tip works well on the tin parts that are dirty grimey, but you definitely want to polish with oil afterwards, a can of compressed air from the computer & electronics store to blow out the dust from the edges is helpful. Of course, don't use any harsh cleaners on the plastic clear domes, but car wax works to polish them up. To clean up grimey old 45 rpm phonograph records, I use a combination of windex and 10% rubbing alcohol. It seems to work well on the colored plastic parts of robots, the alcohol makes the cleaner dry faster as you wipe it with a soft cloth or Q-tip. -Larry 7

Mike Van, I use 70% rubbing alcohol for general cleaning

and Goo-Gone on sticky or gummy stains. I use both of

these very sparingly and alway use white table napkins

to do the cleaning. I use napkins because I can see the

residue and toss them out when they get dirty. By using

white napkins you can also see if paint is being removed.

If I have to disassemble a robot for repair, I'll wash the

plastic parts in a tub of dish washing liquid and warm water...

• Brian.. changed the title to Latest Pickup; TV Spaceman

Archived