Motors: Dead Motor?

Papatoad

Papatoad,

Glad to hear the beast has shown signs of life !!

I'm sure you'll have him up and around soon !!

Now if you could only find a forum full of Arthroscopic

Surgeons to guide you through a knee repair..... :P

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

I know this may deviate from the ongoing surgery, but...

Does anyone have a silver Space Walkman head they

won't be needing ? I have a project robot in need of a

brain and I've had no luck finding a silver WM... :o

Ok. I took out the motor and disassembled it. One brush was half gone. I looked at the space walk man's brushes and decided against it. I took out a box of old remote control cars and found something alittle more suitable. I got the motor running and reinstalled it. Flick of the switch and nothing. I found that placing a screwdriver between the positive terminal and the frame turned him on. He walks and shoots guns. (Horray!) Although now I am hard pressed to find the short. The motor also makes a high pitched whine. I might go back in and mess with it a bit more. It was not as bad as I thought it might be. I find rotateomatics to be much easier. Robotnut, I have a silver walkmans head. No working light in top. Might be better off with Roberts.

I had my MRI today. Turns out the metal in my head was titanium, and poses no problem. They gave me earplugs, packed my leg and said lie still for 20 minutes. That thing sounds like a jackhammer. Actually sounded kinda like a rock band. Sometimes the sounds were in sterio. Anyway, the tech woke me up 45 min later. He told me nobody ever fell asleep in there before. I saw an x-ray of my head too. I am gonna look cool dead.

This is also straying from the thread just a tad....

ROBOT FOOL, where did you get the thin metal

for making your brushes and battery contacts ??

I remember a discussion quite a while back on the

board, but I don't remember if we ever found a

suitable source for thin contact material......

Thanks...

Thanks Robert, but I need a stock silver Walkman head.

Papatoad, if your silver head is in good condition with

all the tabs, that would be perfect. Space Walkmen

actually don't have lighted domes, only the metalic blue

version did. For years I been able to pick up these

silver guys for $10 or so, but the supply appears to have

dried up. I would gladly pay you $10 plus shipping for

your spare head... :blink:

:o Robotnut, I'll email you details when I get a chance. I'll pull the head, box it up, and check the postage for it. I got two for 10.00 and I think someone told me I overpaid for it. Though it is true, you sure don't see them like you used too.

Nice pic Robert. The metal is in my eye socket. I fell asleep driving, went off the road.Car hit telephone pole and I hit the steering wheel. They had to fix my orbital socket. I believe I was in a 25 mph zone,so it could have been worse.

robobob Posted on Aug 11 2004, 11:59 AM

This is also straying from the thread just a tad....

ROBOT FOOL, where did you get the thin metal

for making your brushes and battery contacts ??

IT WASN' T A MARTHA STEWART CRAFT STORE.

robobob, I found a hard paper container with a tin screw cap lid at a yard sale, and it was the storage for the paper thin copper metal I used. The container is 3 inches tall and has various size and thickness of scrap copper in it. There is no Manufacture Name Brand on the hard paper drum container or label at all. I am sorry I can't tell you a supplier. I just looked on the web, but in a quick scan seen no copper sheet supplier. Maybe the more experienced members have a suitable supplier's number or e-mail.

This would be of interest to many novice robot repair guys like me and the pro's like Volker and John and Robert and David Kirk and Henk Gosses, and Everyone in between, Dux Astro girl to Zesko

post-2-1092257808.jpg

There used to be endless good bits and pieces in NY on Canal Street, but now it's all gone. One place that had been near sixth Avenue moved to Brooklyn, but I've not been there since. You can get all sorts of sheet brass and a little copper in those hobby shop displays, but I haven't found a good source for phosporus bronze, which is the wonderful springy stuff you need for battery and motor contacts. I'd sure love to know if somebody finds a supplier.

• Brian.. changed the title to Motors: Dead Motor?

Archived