• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roboto

• Andyman

• Phil R

• Brian..

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope it stays true to the Edwardian humdrum commuter belt atmosphere of the book.  I drive down to Sandown toy fair and often detour through the killing fields of Horsefall, Pyrfield, Addlestone and Woking. The landscape really hasn't changed very much and there's plenty of carnage on the motorway. 

If there's a single American accent, I'm off. No offence, my American colleagues, but all the meagre English sci-fi films seem to have a bloody American scientist in them. You even got into Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray and Thunderbirds. Not a single Lancashire spaceman saying "Ey up, chuck, I could do with a brew" or a Yorkshire scientist saying "Tha knows nowt. Just reverse t'polarity luv. "

Bring on the Cockney geezers and we'll teach these Martian illegals a lesson. 

I think I'm hallucinating. 

Perhaps we may even see one going back further in time to the Flintlocks and gunpowder cannons as they try to defeat the Martians!

war of the worlds.jpg

Looks interesting. Certainly a lot better than the period Pendragon  version of 2005. That movie went from almost digestible to horrendous back and forth. I really liked the  War of the Worlds : Goliath  animated film of 2012 that takes place 15 years after the original invasion.

p10555098_v_v8_aa.jpg

I have my own version underway again using DAS clay over Battlestar Galactica ship just as I did in '79.  Original (finished pics) got trashed decades ago so new one had to be made.

Better than before.

P1170495.JPG

P1170499.JPG

WARA.jpg

WarB032.jpg

P1160578.JPG

On 11/13/2019 at 4:35 PM, Brian.. said:

Bring on the Cockney geezers and we'll teach these Martian illegals a lesson. 

Brian, I have a better idea!!!

A Welsh "Woody"!   lol    that works on several levels   😂

download.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

BBC War of the Worlds serial, 2019.  Spoiler Alert: It's Awful

Well, just saw the last episode of this disaster movie. What a steaming pile of utter crap. 💩

Dark brooding nonsense with a series of lectures about feminism and colonialism rammed down our throats. Any similarity to the original was purely coincidental.

There was just the odd shot of hairy tripods to cheer me up. Then there were a couple of inept spiders wandering around eating folk. They travel millions of miles in sophisticated spaceships, but they don't even look under the table when searching for people. There was a whole five course meal sitting there and they didn't have the brains to look.  I was glad when they ate George. I really prayed for them to end my suffering by eating the miserable wimp.  I wish they'd eaten the rest of the wretched cast. The story reached its crisis ( a long boring bit where everything is pitch black) in a dreary building that resembled one of those Ghost Hunt reality shows where long forgotten celebrities sit in dark cellars and scream each time there's a creak.

The daftest part of this weary bloody nonsense were the sudden random jumps into the future to a time when people were scratching a living in the only place that the "red weed" couldn't grow - churchyards!

That's three hours of my life I won't get back. 

Andy, I wanted to switch off about five minutes in but a sense of duty and the odd shot of Liverpool kept me going.  I have endured torment so that you, dear Alphadromers, can be spared. 

Like Brian has said it was pretty a pretty poor show, the first episode was sort of OK partly in the hope it would get better, but it went downhill rapidly culminating in the third and last being excruciatingly boring. The clue was the female opening copying Richard Burton's, just didn't impress at all.