Zoomer Repro Question

pdjones512

ratchet thank you! thats exactly what mine looks like (oversized soldier joint and all). the only difference is mine is missing the "place battery here" litho. all and all, the deal was a good buy had it been 100% original, it was in good condition but with the battery door/spring issue. plus the box the whole deal got me a little weird and i returned it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is mine, I have always assumed it to be original. The wire is detached. The exterior of the battery door is a significantly different color with the "place battery here" litho but didn't read much into the color difference. I am pretty sure that the zoomer in Lesser's sale (smith house #72) also has the backward "patent".

post-548-0-33341600-1311218828.jpg

Good eye, good memory, Leon. I just checked the Smith House/Lesser auction catalog and you are correct. Lot 31, the grey and black Zoomer color variation's box has the reversed PATENT and logo lettering.

Thought it was strange that two Zoomers would have had exactly the same repair style but three,,,,, that surely has to be factory done ??????? :unsure:

Looks like they made a change in the production very lately... My guess - they wanted to upgrade the battery contact situation??:unsure:

Visiting alphadrome means - learning something new every day! B)

Visiting alphadrome means - learning something new every day! B)

I'll drink to that Dirk ''and I'll bring the beers'' ;)

any thoughts on the fact that the battery door is missing the "place battery here" wording? the color matched the body perfectly but the door has no traces of the wording?

I always thought the battery door had no wiring and the contact was made thru ground since the wire was soldered to the inner body as the ground. As for the wording may have just been removed with cleaner or was repaired at one time and another cover used as a replacment without the Logo.

Did Planet Robot make the Reproductions without this wiring by using the body as a ground or did they make it as it once was without the wiring.

Were all Vintage ones made with this wire to the battery door this is becoming very interesting. :D

post-856-0-20672900-1311371027.jpg

• 3 years later...

Seems like the flat coil is a regular feature, here is one that is on a zoomer on ebay at the moment. No connecting wire but the robots eyes are lit up so contact is being made.post-1849-0-27221300-1419883868_thumb.jp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nomura-Zoomer-Robot-Vintage-Battery-Operated-Tin-Space-Toy-1950s-Japan-TN-/151524508829?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Robots_Space_Toys&hash=item234790849d

And this is the wire coil version on a radar zoomer I bought today.

post-1849-0-25271000-1419883457.png

Interestingly there is an odd variation on this radar zoomer, the mouth is the small version with a red slot. I have not received the robot yet and want to have a closer look. No one has published this version on alphadrome as yet. All the other radar zoomers have the large slot mouth without the red.The robot is original with japan stamped underneath.

post-1849-0-33173100-1419883924.jpg

From what I can see on the first photo of this radar version the nose has a little slit underneath. I think this was to help in the pressing and seems to be a feature of early robots. See the flashy Jim style of robot. The originals have this slit, the repros do not. Therefor I am guessing that the small red mouth came first, similar to the remote blink-a-lite radar robot, and in later variations, the wider hole mouth.

cheers

Chilli

Nice to see this early model. Hope you post your own pictures when you receive him so we all can have a better look of this nice example!!

Archived