The Ultimate Question...

Tinplate6

Well guys, you'll have to study the following picture carefully, get out the magnifier and behold!!

I had this gun mint in the box!! I've scanned this photo from part of my collection in the early 1990's...and there it is, bottom right with the yellow toggle! also can you spot the rare English variation on the Atomic disintegrator! and the Dalek, and the plastic Batgun...etc etc :(

Noel

post-648-076785800 1284723595.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-656-076624000 1284735812.jpg

Holy smokes Toyman, you mean you had these guns and you sold them? :blink: Ouch! From what I can see every one of them was in shiny mint condition. Wow, that's quite the set there you...ummm, had. :blush:

So, can you recall if the Spaceman gun was indeed a pop gun? I have never seen the red version, only the hammer-tone blue color.

I don't suppose you have a photo of the box itself? :huh:

Hi Tinplate, I had a lot more besides the ones in the picture, Dan Dare tri-beams in red and yellow with mint boxes,the Sonic in a mint box, other Batman guns, Stingray, Thunderbirds, some early space looking American "paper poppers" etc. The Spaceman gun was a pop gun, you pulled the toggle back and the trigger released it. The body was bright red and the barrel chromed. I can't recall the box art but it was space related, the box was white and the graphics were red and black on white as I remember.

I sold a lot of toys and invested the money in the large Edwardian 6 bedroom house that this photo was taken in, so it went to a good cause, I only really miss selling the mint-boxed Nomura batman robot, in a Japanese box! On the plus side, I'm collecting guns again! I've got a near mint Atomic disintegrator on the way, I'll post some pics when it arrives along with my other (small) gun collection...

How's it going your end?

best regards to you and your family, Noel

Thanks for asking, things are fairly static here, no good news so far, however, never give up, never surrender! ^_^

I'm glad to hear that your collection paid for the house...I might have to go the same route. ;)

Anyway...keep aiming for those rare guns, that's the only way we'll find them. :)

I think one of the very rarest ray guns may ironically be one of the most common. I'm talking about the

reproduction in the early 90's of the Buck Rogers XZ-38 Disintegrator. It was cast in bronze, sparked, popped and weighed around two pounds. It was gorgeous. The problem was they wanted over $600 for it and you had to wait several months to get it as they were created only upon your order. I think only one was ever made for the photograph and I don't believe any were sold. I was asked to create the ad for it which I think I posted here once. I repeatedly told the guy that the price was WAAAY too high as you could get an original mint in the box one at the time. But he had a dream.

Well Singer Telepathic, I know the piece you're referring to, I remember hearing about it, wasn't a photo of it used for the cover of this Foo Fighters album? :huh:

post-656-043132600 1284861836.jpg

Anyway, I suppose it could be considered unique because of the extremely short run, but it doesn't qualify as a rare ray gun under the criteria of this forum, because it was a reproduction. However I do see your point. ;)

Well Singer Telepathic, I know the piece you're referring to, I remember hearing about it, wasn't a photo of it used for the cover of this Foo Fighters album? :huh:

post-656-043132600 1284861836.jpg

Anyway, I suppose it could be considered unique because of the extremely short run, but it doesn't qualify as a rare ray gun under the criteria of this forum, because it was a reproduction. However I do see your point. ;)

Of course, you're right about it not quite qualifying. I mention it only as a point of interest. This was not the gun used on the Foo Fighters album. You may have it confused with another old post of mine about someone from that group contacting me about using the photo from my book on their new album. I told them that since they would need to have permission from my photographer (we own the rights together), it might be easier if they just found one and photograph it themselves, which is what they did.

Interesting story, none the less, thanks for the background on that particular piece.

If you have any other great ray gun information, please don't hesitate to post it. :)

So...has this ship run aground already? :huh: Wow, I'd have thought we could find more unique pieces, or archive photos than we did.

Well, the forum is still open, if some of you "lurkers" have anything jaw-dropping, feel free to drop it here. I'm always up for new and interesting guns, until then kiddies... :)

After reading Kennetzel request for a better picture of the Jet Rifle I went searching to see if there was one and found this ad from Life magazine dated 7 June 1954 on Google books.

post-1110-059220100 1285156398.jpg

ANZ, excellent job! :o That is the most information I have seen on that gun. So, now we have not only a date, 1954, but a manufacturer; The Leslie-Henry Co.. This would be a great one for the timeline, except nobody has one. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

The suspense is killing me on this wonderful subject and

this funky gun as I cannot figure out why no person, out of

this amazing universe of space gun knowledge, has seen the 'Ad' ...

I just love the name; Buck Bazooka.

post-1379-054545600 1287348522.jpg

First of all, welcome Lorenzo El Jefe. I don't know who you are in real life, but I do know that in the past you've beaten me on MANY toy ray gun auctions. A worthy adversary! ;)

Second... HOLY COW! Thanks so much for posting this. We now have a name -- "Rockatomic Gun." (Kind of weird, but... okay.) And a manufacturer, which is great. And we know what it's supposed to do, too. Now, if only the ad had a date on it...

Do you know of anyone who's got the whistling rocket it was supposed to fire? Mine certainly doesn't, and the only other one I've seen didn't have it either.

Great stuff. Thanks again.

Some background on George Borgfeldt Corp.:

http://www.antiquetoycollections.info/products.asp?cat=43

http://dollreference.com/george_borgfeldt_dolls.html

http://www.tin-toy-world.com/index.php?brand_id=25

Could this be the same Atomic Rocket Gun as mentioned in this June 12, 1948 issue of Billboard?:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=%22atomic+rocket+gun%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Archived