American Mettle

MacDaddyRico

I'm not sure what happened to my other thread, so I'll continue it here:

Picture 1) Personal Collection

Picture 2) Signed by astronauts, updated 11/07/10:

John Glenn on his 3 different model type commemoratives (Duro Strato, Destination Moon & Satellite,) Scott Carpenter on two types of his commemoratives (Destination Moon & Strato,) Wally Schirra on a Strato, Walter Cunningham on a Strato, Dave Scott on an Astro Missile Bank, Buzz Aldrin on two different model types (Astro Missile & Strato,) the entire Apollo 12 crew on an Apollo Flights Moon Globe, Fred Haise and James Lovell of Apollo 13 share a Destination Moon Bank, Gene Cernan (the last man to walk on the Moon) on a Destination Moon Bank, Gordon Cooper's wife and daughter share a Satellite Bank, Flight Director Gerry Griffin, Pad Leader Guenter Wendt and Mercury Astronaut Nurse Dee O'Hara share another Satellite Bank, and finally Cary Berzac, who after h.s. classes would rush to work in his father's and uncle's business making Astro Missile Banks.

post-1299-068477600 1290973589.jpg

post-1299-089959200 1290973612.jpgPCR.jpgAutographs Update 006.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3/13/11

Just an update; I'd succeeded in donating to several prominant American museums.

Also had another stellar experience at my second showing of the Astronaut Autograph & Memorabilia Show at the Cape this past November!

A reminder that Alphadrome members recieve special discounts on my artifacts; simply email your request and I'll locate the one (or more) for you!

• 5 months later...

Looking forward to the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation's fourth annual Astronaut Autograph & Memorabilia Show at Cape Canaveral's Kennedy Space Center's Visotor's Complex this November. This will be my third show.

Before that, in September on the Square, is the Marietta StreetFest, sponsored by the Marietta Museum Of History. They're slowly building an Aviation Wing at another location, starting with several aircraft, and raising money to build a permanent building there.

• 2 years later...

Update 2013:

I'm not sure what happened to my other thread, so I'll continue it here:

Picture 1) Personal Collection

Picture 2) Signed by astronauts, updated 11/07/10:

John Glenn on his 3 different model type commemoratives (Duro Strato, Destination Moon & Satellite,) Scott Carpenter on two types of his commemoratives (Destination Moon & Strato,) Wally Schirra on a Strato, Walter Cunningham on a Strato, Dave Scott on an Astro Missile Bank, Buzz Aldrin on two different model types (Astro Missile & Strato,) the entire Apollo 12 crew on an Apollo Flights Moon Globe, Fred Haise and James Lovell of Apollo 13 share a Destination Moon Bank, Gene Cernan (the last man to walk on the Moon) on a Destination Moon Bank, Gordon Cooper's wife and daughter share a Satellite Bank, Flight Director Gerry Griffin, Pad Leader Guenter Wendt and Mercury Astronaut Nurse Dee O'Hara share another Satellite Bank, and finally Cary Berzac, who after h.s. classes would rush to work in his father's and uncle's business making Astro Missile Banks.

Approaching another November, and my fifth AAMS at the Cape. Pictured is the updated collection.

Also: Latest addition to the collection is a miniature Mercury Bank from a Ms. Adell Venus' estate, by an unknown crafts person.

post-1299-0-11251300-1380498639_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-73302600-1380498934_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...

Buzz Aldrin Destination Moon

post-1299-0-15991700-1391558350_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-89988100-1391558363.jpg

Commemorating John Glenn's Triumphant Triple Orbit of the Earth, and signed by the second man to walk on the Moon during the U.S.'s First Manned Lunar Landing.

That's a delightfully different collection here on the 'drome. Everything bright and shiny and they all just...well, go together so well. Having the signatures makes them a great part of history and extra terrific to collect, thanks for posting the update.

That's a delightfully different collection here on the 'drome. Everything bright and shiny and they all just...well, go together so well. Having the signatures makes them a great part of history and extra terrific to collect, thanks for posting the update.

Yes, thank you very much Morbius. I try to buy my artifacts in as near mint condition as possible depending on rarity, model type and promotional decal.

"Different" offered a void to fill, and these historically significant artifacts have most definitely offered me multiple opportunities during the past several years to fill voids throughout the country: The U.S.S. Intrepid; The Cosmosphere; The Museum of Early Space Exploration; The Museum of Aviation; Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum and the Queens Museum of Art on the old grounds of both the 1939-1940 and the 1964-1965 N.Y. Worlds Fairs.

With this signed collection, I hope to auction or sell and donate the proceeds to the Marietta Museum of History's Aviation Wing, which presently has a nice collection of aircraft but no building. Hopefully in the very near future all of the bugs will be worked out, the property secured and the ground breaking ceremony under way...

• 6 months later...

The seller appears to have more than one copy available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duro-Astro-Vacumet-Article-S-E-Antiquing-Collecting-Magazine-Back-Issue-2012-/161399722881?

post-16-0-47168300-1408899822_thumb.jpg

This auction is for a single copy of November 2012 Southeastern Antiquing And Collecting Magazine, containing the first published article regarding all model types of Space-themed mechanical toy banks produced (and one not produced) by Duro, Astro and Vacumet in East Detroit from between 1949 and approximately 1975.

This article is the result of several years of research, including conversations with the son of the founder of Astro, John Berzac. With his brother Steve beside him, and a great amount of encouragement and support from his wife, they quit Duro and started Astro in his garage. It's a long story, but through all of the the drama respect for business remained intact and the three companies continued doing business until they each closed, one by one, with the rights to the molds being passed along each time. But that's another story and not covered in this magazine article.

This article also serves as a price guide.

• 2 months later...

The seller appears to have more than one copy available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duro-Astro-Vacumet-Article-S-E-Antiquing-Collecting-Magazine-Back-Issue-2012-/161399722881?

attachicon.gifspace banks.jpg

This auction is for a single copy of November 2012 Southeastern Antiquing And Collecting Magazine, containing the first published article regarding all model types of Space-themed mechanical toy banks produced (and one not produced) by Duro, Astro and Vacumet in East Detroit from between 1949 and approximately 1975.

This article is the result of several years of research, including conversations with the son of the founder of Astro, John Berzac. With his brother Steve beside him, and a great amount of encouragement and support from his wife, they quit Duro and started Astro in his garage. It's a long story, but through all of the the drama respect for business remained intact and the three companies continued doing business until they each closed, one by one, with the rights to the molds being passed along each time. But that's another story and not covered in this magazine article.

This article also serves as a price guide.

Yes, that is my first published article...and it made the cover..!

Thanks for posting this here...I haven't visited in a while as I'd been extremely busy..!

Look for this same article in October/2014 Antique Toy World magazine...

I also have added it here on Alphadrome...

UPDATE: 10/31/2014

I have commissioned an internationally acclaimed American artist to paint my factory-unfinished Berzac Bank...

I will post pictures upon its arrival back home..!

The bare model is the one which Vacumet produced in 1975 to commemorate America's Bicentennial...

post-1299-0-51665500-1414784401_thumb.jp

Archived