American Mettle

MacDaddyRico

Hey MDR

Love your collection! I collect space race stuff and have always wanted to get more into the banks, only have a couple. Currently I'm focusing in Soviet items, but after seeing your collection, I imagine we'll all be paying more attention (and thus paying more $$ :blush: ) to the banks available.

You ever do shows in Florida?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey MDR

Love your collection! I collect space race stuff and have always wanted to get more into the banks, only have a couple. Currently I'm focusing in Soviet items, but after seeing your collection, I imagine we'll all be paying more attention (and thus paying more $$ :blush: ) to the banks available.

You ever do shows in Florida?

Thanks!

Being a product of that era and recalling all of the toys I played with (and thus destroyed, natch) it amazes me when I discover toys of the era which I never even knew existed!

The Soviet products are very attractive, I agree, and I've actually been thinking of adding some specimens to my collection. But as far as a new mission's concerned; it's a toss-up between the Soviets and the Robots, and either way it'll be a long and interesting journey!

Yes, I'll be doing the annual Astronaut Autograph & Memorabilia Show sponsered by a cause I believe deeply in, the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation.

Click here or on my banner below and read more about my banks and I...

And thanks again!

Nice collection, MDR. You need to have the Atomic Bank in your collection. :D Whoops! I should look before I leap! Nice banks on the link. I've always wavered on buying one of the solar system banks.

post-221-1272585084.jpg

Phil R said:
Nice collection, MDR. You need to have the Atomic Bank in your collection. 😄 Whoops! I should look before I leap! Nice banks on the link. I've always wavered on buying one of the solar system banks.

Yes, there are also a couple tucked into the sides of the group shot posted in the OP, but they're kinda hard to spot right off.

These Atomic Banks were the first model type patented by Duro back in 1949.

The Solar System Bank, by Astro, was less mechanical than the rest; Drop a coin in a slot and rotate the ring of plantes by hand, and gravity drops the coin through a gap on the inner portion of the ring at a predetermined location. Coins are retrieved through a lockplate in the bottom.

post-1299-1272587938.jpg

post-1299-1272587965.jpgDell_Laptop_Picture_Files_784.JPGDell_Laptop_Picture_Files_237.JPG

I located a matte green Duro Mercury Bank and pounced on it. Notice the difference between it and the matte silver/blueish-grey models: The Star emblem is painted yellow, not dark blue.

I'm still diligently searching for the ever elusive chromed version, as well as for the chromed Flying Saucer...

post-1299-1272814900.jpg

post-1299-1272815678.jpgPCR_Green_Mercury_003.JPGDell_Laptop_Picture_Files_216.JPG

One of my favorite plastic banks; A combination-dial Re-Entry Gemini Spacecraft Module manufactured by Beacon.

This specimen opens when the year 1964 is aligned:

post-1299-1272847133.jpg

post-1299-1272847197.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A variety of vintage globe banks, plus an Apollo Moon Flights Globe.

Notice the two different Replogle Moon Globe Banks which stradle the Earth Globe Bank; The one on the right is pre-1959 while the other has the far (or Dark) side of the Moon mapped out, as well as illustrates all missions leading up to and including Apollo 11.

post-1299-1274292393.jpgDell_Laptop_Picture_Files_796.JPG

Amazing collection of yours! :) Especially I like the Gemini Space capsule.

In Germany we had only a tin earth globe bank ( no moons) as far as I can remember.

The same tin earth globe was also produced as a pencil sharpener, which was sold in high quantities in the 60s & 70s.

Blechroboter said:
Amazing collection of yours! 🙂 Especially I like the Gemini Space capsule.

In Germany we had only a tin earth globe bank ( no moons) as far as I can remember.

The same tin earth globe was also produced as a pencil sharpener, which was sold in high quantities in the 60s & 70s.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your interest!

Yes, perhaps Germany didn't make any Moon banks but they did make some nice Moon Globes:

post-1299-1274641329.jpgGDR_Moon_Globe_1.jpgGDR_Moon_Globe_2.jpgGDR_Moon_Globe_3.jpg

post-1299-1274641343.jpg

post-1299-1274641361.jpg

It has a gorgeous graphic :) ! Always I thought a good moon globe belongs in every Apollo related space toy collection.

What´s quite interesting is production date from July 9th 1976 and the editorial deadline in June 1977. How exact! :o

And I noticed the globe comes from the GDR. Strange enough I only know space toy collectors from the FRG like me :blink: .

It has a gorgeous graphic :) ! Always I thought a good moon globe belongs in every Apollo related space toy collection.

I agree, it's a fantastic specimen. Yes, I've got a few Apollo and pre-Apollo Globes in my collection.

And I noticed the globe comes from the GDR. Strange enough I only know space toy collectors from the FRG like me :blink: .

You ought to get out more often. :P

Archived